 CAD / Development / 7220
Re: LD4DModeler 1.0 Beta 1 now available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2002 18:25:48 GMT

OK, now I've managed all the steps from a model in MLCad to a moving
animation.

My model had only three joined parts (two joints) so it's not very
complicated, but I still had a lot of trouble in the beginning understanding
what to do.

It was not (for me) obvious which part would be the moving one after
creating a joint, and I had a h*** of a time trying to rotate the model in
'partpoint' setting mode. Of course I should have realized that only the
camera controls were functional, but I didn't until after many, many
tries...

It's alway's the righthand part of the joint I was expermenting with
optional lefthand rotation but this is kinda complicated and I have
droped it for now (on the preview pictures on the site you still can see
the L/R radiobuttons though :)

Based upon your 'adventure' I think I should disable all non partpoint
controls during partpoint editing.

Also, for some reason, only two of my three parts were shown for a long
time - I tried (almost) everything, deleting joints and adding them again,
deleting all the parts and adding everything again, etc. etc.

Then, suddenly, all three parts were shown, and I'm not sure what I did!
Maybe it was switching 'Model Master Part' back and forth between my three
parts...

Sorry for not having any definitive step to reproduce the problem, but I
really don't know why there was a problem, or what I did to fix it.

I have experianced this problem myself a while back, I think some
internal preparation is not done somewhere in the line. I am looking
into this.

Conclusion: When I had learnt the controls, and made all the beginners
errors, it was quite easy to create the animation, but the learning curve
was (for me) steep. A step-by-step introduction would be welcome for the
final product.

A tutorial will be there in time. I was thinking about recreating the
robotarm or minifig project step by step or something like that.

I'm still not sure I understand the different options in the animation
editor, I've totally relied on 'Relative' movement over a defined time. The
other variants doesn't do what I expect, so I don't know how to use them.

Next step: Multi model animation...

Should warn you here, there are some, let's say 'issues' ;) on this. For
example sometimes the controls for the models are messed upped in the
control window.

BTW: Do you have any tip on which encoder is best to use for .avi files?

You mean a program? I don't have tips there I've looked for a good
freeware one myself but failed.

In means of encoding I would say DivX (v4 or v5).

Talking about encoding do you know of a good online resource for
programming video for windows? (does not have to be delphi oriented).

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery/index.htm

Roland