 CAD / Development / 7215
Re: LD4DModeler 1.0 Beta 1 now available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 12 May 2002 23:33:38 GMT

Again, I really do appreciate your comments.

For the gui, I am working on a better controls form, whom will be
groupable and maybe compressible, if I can find the time.

Funny, the reason I did not show the popupmenu items elsewhere was
'space' and my own habit to immidentenly right click on such edit areas :)

What do you mean with a record button, what's you idea of it's function,
taking a snap shot into the animation editor?

The player I intended to improve / expand in beta 3, but maybe I will
add a from / to loop and goto frame into beta 2. Needed those myself
when I was playing around :)

If you really want to copy paste in beta 1 you can always go edit the
animation file and reload it, in matter a fact I already made a little
internal editor to do this from within beta 2.

I agree on the Time compression, I think I am going to make it a
property of a sequence, don't know if this going to be in beta 2 though.

About the timeline, I was thinking about that, but more in the way of
'scream tracker (Old dos music making program)' way. It had vertical
tracks whom scroll in sync with the song during playback and editing.
But I choose to use the simple list for now because I do not have the
time to begin work on a whole new component, I like to do that when the
'essence' is sufficient supported and working. the only custom
components used in the program are my 2 year old tdigits at the moment,
my very first component by the way :)

Thanks, and keep on testing / suggesting

Roland.

PS: How's the render speed on your machine? (I am rewriting the preview
engine and so far I managed to get it upto 8 times faster on my Radeon
8500, so there is some hope :)

Anders Isaksson wrote:

"rmelkert" <rmelkert@_remove_chello.nl> skrev i meddelandet

http://members.ams.chello.nl/rmelkert/LD4DModeler/

Once again, Great Program!

I really like the idea, if not everything in the user interface...

Some thoughts, first on doing the animation:

- The screen must be utilized better

Even on my large (19", 1152x864 pixel) screen it's not possible to have the
'Animation Editor' (AE) and '3D View' (3D) visible at the same time, I have
to hunt for windows all the time, click them to front, do something, hunt
again etc. Sure, it will get better when I have learnt which function key is
used for each of the windows, but...

- Unclear how to start building animation

It took me some time before I realized how to add animation steps - I
confess: I had to go to the web page and _read_!

It's generally not a good idea to have functions available _only_ in the
right-click pop-up menu. With the AE such a big window, it could well have a
local static menu.

- Record button in the 'Real Time Control' window

This was the place where I started to look for the 'Record' control :-)

Why not have three more buttons, and an entry field:

(btn) Set Start configuration
(btn) Set End configuration
(edt) Duration
(btn) Record

and let this add actions to the current sequence. This would be an easy way
to start animating, the AE can come into play later when I want to refine
everything, and make many things happen simultaneously.

- Cut, copy, paste missing in AE

I think this is really needed, also the possibility to copy animation
sequences from other animations and projects (Oh, I just saw on your Web
page that it's already planned).

I mean, as you have already made the sequence to have a minifig 'walk', I
shouldn't have to enter the same steps again, in _my_ animation.

Perhaps there should be a way to associate a library of sequences with the
Model (or Part).

- Preview from the AE

It would be nice to be able to test-run a single sequence directly from the
AE.

- 'Time compression' (or what should I call it?)

If I have a sequence, Walk, that takes 3000 ms, I really, really, would like
to be able to say in Main: Play 'Walk', but speed it up so it's done in 2347
ms. Trying to make things happen at the right time is difficult, almost
impossible without this. I really do not see much use of 'Play the first
2347 ms of Walk'.

- The sequence editor in AE should look like a 'time line':

Perhaps some kind of collapsible view, so I could expand a sequence and see
the actions...

(Fixed font recommended)

       0                   1                   2                   3
       0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0..
Main       xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Walk      xxxxxxxxxxxxx                 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Wave                       xxxxxxxxxxxx              xxxxxxxxxxxx
  A00                       xxx                       xxx
  A01                          xxxxxx                    xxxxxx
  A02                                xxx                       xxx

etc.

OK, that's all for now. Please don't feel frustrated by all my 'should' etc.
These are only my first reactions and suggestions - I really do like the
program!

Next stop will be the joint definitions, haven't looked into that yet.

Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery/index.htm