 CAD / Development / 6952
Re: More on Stickers (was: Questions on Stickers and Certification)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 09:17:05 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Tony Hafner writes:
From reading that thread, it sounds like the only reasonably solution to
both the bleed and seam gap problems is to author the parts and stickers
together.

Problems with stickers as separate parts:
Nomenclature:
- 6 digits for the sheet ID plus 2 for the individual sticker
   doesn't leave room for a dividing character.

Right. The reason I used xxxxxxa.dat, xxxxxxb.dat etc. names.

- The sheet IDs will often be hard to obtain for older sets.

Hm. Not worse than for the small unnumbered parts. We could also use 3-digit
numbers.

- Identical stickers appear in multiple sheets/sets.
Positioning:
- Stickers might be hard to align.  Potential partial solution
   is to supply shortcuts to the stickers as placed on the
   "correct" part.

The origin is now placed at the center of the backface. This make easy to
align the stiker on the simple Tile parts.

- The back of the sticker or the part beneath will "bleed"
   through the printing on some (most?) renderers unless the
   sticker is way too thick.
With 0.25 LDU I checked with L3Lab, Ldlite, POV, LDView. It did'd caused
bleed-through.

- Some renderers (including POV) will scale the parts to create
   a seam gap, which will show the sticker floating above the
   part.

Yes, this is a big problem. To turn off the seam gap option cannot be a
solution.

New Standard: As far as I know (which may not be much!), there
   are no stickers in the official parts library that are done
   this way.
That's true.

On the other hand, some official "patterned" parts
   are actually parts with stickers.
I didn't know that.

Problems with stickers done like patterned parts:
Nomenclature:
- On what do you base the name?  Would you name the pattern
   after the "correct" parent part? Would you name it after the
   sticker sheet?
Positioning:
- You have to author a separate part for each possible
   positioning of the piece.

Right. These two problems led me to first approach.

It seems pretty obvious to me (for what that's worth) that modeling stickers
essentially like patterns is the way to go.  This is also consistent with
the current parts library in at least a few cases.

You can look at this approach as being a bit on the "purist" side- if you
follow the instructions in the set that comes with the sticker, there are
only one or two possible places to put the sticker.  If someone wants to
muck with putting a sticker on a non-normal part, they can figure out how to
model that themselves.  It would be easier than many "simple" tasks (simple
in the real world, anyway) that LDraw users already have to deal with...
such as positioning flexible hoses.

The naming issue mostly goes away, or at least becomes relegated to the same
status as patterns.  We could possibly switch to a different character for
stickers: <part#>s<sticker#>.dat as opposed to <part#>p<pattern#>.dat.  I'd
actually recommend using "d" for "decal", though, because subpart naming
might be more confusing with "s" already meaning "subpart".

Note that if sticker faces are always done as subparts, they would be easy
for people to use them in other places.  Sure, they'd be floating and
backside-less two-dimensional stickers... and people would have to look in
the subparts directory... but I think that's a solution that most people
would find acceptable if they aren't parts authors and can't do it properly.

The sticker file could include commented-out code for a backing, or even a
single commented-out subpart reference for this.  That way it would take
minimal file-hacking to get a proper sticker.

Your approach is quite acceptable for me. My intention with modelling some
stickers was to initiate a discussion on this topic to reach a common
agreement in Ldraw community. Establishing a good convention on modelling
stickers may open a way to fill up this missing area of Lego parts.

Now the first dual decision to make is: Do the stickers have to be handled
as 1. separate parts or
2. subparts with commented placing, referencing etc. instructions, and
optional part shortcuts with other parts (at least corresponding to official
Lego building instructions).

Any convention can be decided only after this one.

Tony has carefully summarized the pros and cons above. If the majority of
the authors selects one of the approaches, I'm ready to follow it in may
sticker modells whichever it would be.

Ampi

         Imre Papp
Geometria GIS Systems House