 CAD / Development / 6941
6940  |  6942
Subject:
More on Stickers (was: Questions on Stickers and Certification)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 19:01:45 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Imre Papp writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Tony Hafner writes:
On stickers:

Should stickers be treated, for part authoring purposes, as if they were
printed on the parts?  If so, should we indicate somehow that the part is
stickered as opposed to printed?

I'm currently working on modelling of the stickers of the Technic black
Supercar. Before that I put some question in thread
http://news.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.cad.dev:6715

Then we agreed on the approach that stickers are separate parts just as they
were ordinary bricks since, they can be sticked on various parts, as
alternate models in Technic sets usually require. So they differ from
patterns that are unremovably printed on parts.

From reading that thread, it sounds like the only reasonably solution to
both the bleed and seam gap problems is to author the parts and stickers
together.

Problems with stickers as separate parts:
  Nomenclature:
  - 6 digits for the sheet ID plus 2 for the individual sticker
    doesn't leave room for a dividing character.
  - The sheet IDs will often be hard to obtain for older sets.
  - Identical stickers appear in multiple sheets/sets.
  Positioning:
  - Stickers might be hard to align.  Potential partial solution
    is to supply shortcuts to the stickers as placed on the
    "correct" part.
  - The back of the sticker or the part beneath will "bleed"
    through the printing on some (most?) renderers unless the
    sticker is way too thick.
  - Some renderers (including POV) will scale the parts to create
    a seam gap, which will show the sticker floating above the
    part.
  New Standard: As far as I know (which may not be much!), there
    are no stickers in the official parts library that are done
    this way.  On the other hand, some official "patterned" parts
    are actually parts with stickers.

Problems with stickers done like patterned parts:
  Nomenclature:
  - On what do you base the name?  Would you name the pattern
    after the "correct" parent part? Would you name it after the
    sticker sheet?
  Positioning:
  - You have to author a separate part for each possible
    positioning of the piece.

It seems pretty obvious to me (for what that's worth) that modeling stickers
essentially like patterns is the way to go.  This is also consistent with
the current parts library in at least a few cases.

You can look at this approach as being a bit on the "purist" side- if you
follow the instructions in the set that comes with the sticker, there are
only one or two possible places to put the sticker.  If someone wants to
muck with putting a sticker on a non-normal part, they can figure out how to
model that themselves.  It would be easier than many "simple" tasks (simple
in the real world, anyway) that LDraw users already have to deal with...
such as positioning flexible hoses.

The naming issue mostly goes away, or at least becomes relegated to the same
status as patterns.  We could possibly switch to a different character for
stickers: <part#>s<sticker#>.dat as opposed to <part#>p<pattern#>.dat.  I'd
actually recommend using "d" for "decal", though, because subpart naming
might be more confusing with "s" already meaning "subpart".

Note that if sticker faces are always done as subparts, they would be easy
for people to use them in other places.  Sure, they'd be floating and
backside-less two-dimensional stickers... and people would have to look in
the subparts directory... but I think that's a solution that most people
would find acceptable if they aren't parts authors and can't do it properly.

The sticker file could include commented-out code for a backing, or even a
single commented-out subpart reference for this.  That way it would take
minimal file-hacking to get a proper sticker.

In some cases the number of the sticker sheet is known and the sticker part
will get this number as LDraw filename suffixed be some subpart identifier
xxxxxxa.dat, xxxxxxb.dat etc.

Please have a look at my sticker renderings at

These look great, but the stickers look too thick to me.  On the other hand,
I may be used to dealing with plastic stickers... which appear to be
significantly thinner than paper ones.  Yours may be appropriate for paper
stickers.  Heh- there's another issue!

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com