 CAD / Development / 666
  Re: Feature requests for LDraw/LEdit v. 2  [DAT]

(...) Yes, that would be useful. It's also absurd that an application would need to worry about that, since Linux can do that at the OS level. But, I havn't ported to Linux yet, so I don't have much room to complain. (...) A meta command to change (...) (26 years ago, 13-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Feature requests for LDraw/LEdit v. 2

(...) Hollow, solid, or tube-shaped? I'd also like to see discs, arcs, spheres and cones. And some spline-thingy, I suppose. How about boolean operators? INTERSECT, UNION, and whatever's the proper term for "All of A that's outside of B". Steve (26 years ago, 15-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Feature requests for LDraw/LEdit v. 2

(...) hehe.. in 3DS it's called "A-B subtraction" or "B-A subtraction".. and those are *intense" routines to write... he he.. damn, everyone just needs 3DSMAX.. J (26 years ago, 15-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Feature requests for LDraw/LEdit v. 2

personally, i think we should look to a public-domain modeling tool for the basis of our meshes in LDraw2... (i'd *prefer* we all just use MAX, but i know that isn't possible for obvous reasons)... my point in this is that we need a tool that does (...) (26 years ago, 15-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Feature requests for LDraw/LEdit v. 2

I totally agree, we should find a public or freeware CAD program to do the mundane for us in modeling. I also agree that finding something we can all agree on would be monumental task. I would love to be able to use MAX output ( as I've previous (...) (26 years ago, 16-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Our Modeling Future. (Was:Feature requests for LDraw/LEdit v. 2)

(...) it was paul gyugi who mentioned the shareware proggy i spoke of... here's his original post: (...) meshes in DXF format, as well as his writing the DAT2DXF converter)... so he will be a great source of information on what other avenues we may (...) (26 years ago, 16-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Feature requests for LDraw/LEdit v. 2

The *strength* of LDRAW is the Type 2 and Type 5 lines. They are key to making rendered instruction sheet output look good. AC3D is a modeller that supports both triangles and lines, with POV and DXF output. I encourage you to check it out at: (URL) (...) (26 years ago, 16-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Feature requests for LDraw/LEdit v. 2

(to jump in, or to stay out. Decisions, decisions. Oh, what the heck.) Why wait for LDraw2 to come up with better ways to produce part-files? It would be *great* if LDraw2 can handle multiple source-file formats, but that's a different issue. I (...) (26 years ago, 16-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Our Modeling Future (Was: Feature requests for LDraw/LEdit v. 2)

(...) i see the good *and* the bad in the .DAT format... i like the idea that the same parsing routines handle everything from the model down to the line type... all transformations can be uniformly applied to every sub element, element, part, and (...) (26 years ago, 16-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Feature requests for LDraw/LEdit v. 2

(...) Going back to the question of new line-types in LDraw2, if we had all the curved-surface types, there would be little or no use for the Type-5 line, as long as we could specify that a specific object should be outlined/edged. Or have separate (...) (26 years ago, 16-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Feature requests for LDraw/LEdit v. 2

Steve Bliss wrote in message <36ee613a.2319642@lu...et.com>... (...) ACAD comes in several flavors. The industrial strength ACAD is a monster, but it can handle just about anything you can think of in a CAD. For those who may not need all the bells (...) (26 years ago, 16-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Our Modeling Future. (Was:Feature requests for LDraw/LEdit v. 2)

Don't confuse your names; I did not write the DAT2DXF program, I think that might have been Paul Evans Bauch (spelling?). I don't have ACAD, but I use DXF files as a common file format. The registered version of AC3D includes source for a DXF (...) (26 years ago, 17-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Our Modeling Future. (Was:Feature requests for LDraw/LEdit v. 2)

(...) ACCKK!!.. sorry gyug!!!.. actually it was Paulo Caparica Junior who wrote DAT2DXF... (just can't resist giving you credit for the super whacky-hacky proggies we have in our midst).. please excuse the misinformation J (26 years ago, 17-Mar-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)