 CAD / Development / 4888
Re: Planes for a new download-tool (2)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 17:57:34 GMT

In a previous post, you asked about portability to Unix.  I am writing a
multi-threaded http download program in Linux.  The back end http stuff
already works fine.  It shouldn't be too difficult for me to make it generic
enough for general consumption.

Getting it to run in Windows would be significantly harder, though, since it
uses socket stuff which has not been set up to run in Windows (not TOO hard
to fix) as well as POSIX threads (very hard to fix, unless I am badly
mistaken).  Let me know if you're interested.  It's written in C++, by the
way.

Before anyone asks, the reason it's multi-threaded is because with a cable
modem you can get significant download performance gains by do multiple
simultaneous downloads.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@san.REMOVE.rr.com)
(Remove .REMOVE from address to send me e-mail.)