 CAD / Development / 4898
Re: Planes for a new download-tool (2)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:53:45 GMT

What I can tell you is that the http code will run on Windows if you used
sockets for the communication.
However designing an interface in Unix and Windows is totaly different, and
this most of the tool if believe.
Another possibility is to use Java (but I don't know if that thing can work
with sockets ... just there is nothing for ftp, http specially) this would
be portable enough.

But we could try to find a common solution for all of us in form of a
library which handles downloading, contains the logic what to download ...
Finding file-time-stamps on Windows will not work as it does on Unix by the
way!

The GUI stuff would have to be written seperatly for each thing.

The advantige of MFC on Windows is that e.g. downloading a file via http are
4 lines of code if you use MFC!!!! Thats much easier than using sockets ...
but I do not mind having something portable inside a tool

Michael

Travis Cobbs <tcobbs@san.REMOVE.rr.com> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
Fy0H3r.MIx@lugnet.com...
Sorry, I guess my previous post may have been a little misleading.  The
program I am working on (haven't done much with it in the last couple of
months, actually), is a general-purpose http download program.  It wasn't
actually set up to do anything ldraw-specific.

It has ability to parse an html page and download all the files linked • from
the page which have been updated since a certain date.  It also supports
following links to other html files and repeating the process (which could
get out of hand rather quickly unless certain restrictions are put in
place).  The idea when I was working on it was to simply track the last
successful run date, and then grab everything which had updated since • then.
The version I have actually uses the date that it fetches from the http
header (which requires an http connection).  It could be modified to parse • a
specialized index which included dates.

It's currently a console app (no UI).  Given that all the downloading
happens in background threads, it could presumably have a UI attached
relatively easily.  In fact, if the current foreground thread (which
controls the others) were itself made into a background thread, it would • be
even cleaner.

However, before we decide to add a UI to what I have, we should decide
whether the Windows and Unix versions will have enough in common to be a
single project with OS-specific UI and http sections, or whether they • should
be completely separate.  I would hope that it would make more sense to • have
a single project.  If so, though, the raw http code I have would probably • be
more useful than the rest.

In any event I'm leaving for a week vaction on Saturday, so I won't be
around to answer further questions until I get back.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@san.REMOVE.rr.com)
(Remove .REMOVE from address to send me e-mail.)

"Michael Lachmann" <m.lachmann@xpoint.at> wrote in message
Yes sure I'm interested ... in the mean time I did the same for Windows • and
it worked fine ... so it seems we both solved the question of how to • work
with http .... but have you build in some logic already (what to • download
... if it's up-to-date)?

By the way if someone is interested in that source as well just drop me • note

Michael

Travis Cobbs <tcobbs@san.REMOVE.rr.com> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
FxyHwu.As3@lugnet.com...
In a previous post, you asked about portability to Unix.  I am writing • a
multi-threaded http download program in Linux.  The back end http • stuff
already works fine.  It shouldn't be too difficult for me to make it • generic
enough for general consumption.

Getting it to run in Windows would be significantly harder, though, • since
it
uses socket stuff which has not been set up to run in Windows (not TOO • hard
to fix) as well as POSIX threads (very hard to fix, unless I am badly
mistaken).  Let me know if you're interested.  It's written in C++, by • the
way.

Before anyone asks, the reason it's multi-threaded is because with a • cable
modem you can get significant download performance gains by do • multiple
simultaneous downloads.