 CAD / Development / 4914
Re: Planes for a new download-tool (2)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 14:51:07 GMT

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Michael Lachmann wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Jonathan Wilson writes:
You cant put java code into a DLL.
java sounds good but then the user has to install the java runtime to
run the thing.

Than we would need a installation tool which also installs the runtime
environment first ... naaa then I prefere portable c/c++ code and make the Dll
directly ...

Well, I think the ideia is to be able to download something right ?
So by implication, we are almost forced to use a www browser, so we can build a
java applet, which runs within our browser.
And if it's run from our personal computer, then we won't have security
problems, as we would, if we would run the applet directly from the web server.

The server could provide the applet in a compressed form (*.zip, or something
else) then the user would run it from their home computer. Offcourse the user
will have to trust our code, but that shouldn't be a problem if the code is open
source ;)

See ya
Rui Martins