 CAD / Development / 4910
Re: Planes for a new download-tool (2)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:29:23 GMT

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Michael Lachmann wrote:

What I can tell you is that the http code will run on Windows if you used
sockets for the communication.
However designing an interface in Unix and Windows is totaly different, and
this most of the tool if believe.
Another possibility is to use Java (but I don't know if that thing can work
with sockets ... just there is nothing for ftp, http specially) this would
be portable enough.

Actually it can, and it's also a lot easyer, since there are already made
packages for each of those protocols.

But we could try to find a common solution for all of us in form of a
library which handles downloading, contains the logic what to download ...
Finding file-time-stamps on Windows will not work as it does on Unix by the
way!

That depends, I think there is a compatibility lib, provided with VC++, at
least, which allows to know the file state information, in a compatible way with
Unix.
The only issue we might have is the handling of the file change date by the OS.

But that can possible solved, with a moke-up of the unix "touch" command, which
I believe already exists for windows.

The GUI stuff would have to be written seperatly for each thing.

if we used java, then it wouldn't need to.

Also, why don't we provide a simple text interface, we only want to select
which files, from a list (the ones which are new on the server comparing to
ours) so that the file downloading can proceed.
Don't spend a lot of work on GUIs which won't have any real benefit, at least
for now.
But this is a good point to remind us, that the downloading part of the program
should be self suficient, so that we can later, eventually add a GUI or just a
diferent interface (web interface ? etc...)

The advantige of MFC on Windows is that e.g. downloading a file via http are
4 lines of code if you use MFC!!!! Thats much easier than using sockets ...
but I do not mind having something portable inside a tool

Actually, what makes that really easy is the protocol, either FTP or HTTP (using
TCP/IP), open a connection for each file transfer, and all data incoming on that
connection, is considered part of the file; and the connection is closed at the
end of file, signaling it's end.

See ya
Rui Martins