 CAD / Development / 3623
Re: part 2951, more questions, nearly done
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 09:15:44 GMT

Fredrik Glöckner wrote:
Now, should I rework it using my own not quite round, odd degree, cylinder ?
Or should I calculate them as 16agons instead of circles?
Or should I just ignore the small gaps and calculate them as circles?

I believe the prefered solution when encountering problems like this
is to use as many of the circle and disc primitives as possible in a
non-overlapping fashion, and then fill out the rest with polygons.

(So my initial 2951 sketch uses the non-prefered solution, sorry about
not mentioning this before.  I forgot.)

To be more precise, say you need to make cylinder spanning 140
degrees.  The prefered way to do this is to use one 1-4cyli primitive • (I corrected the above from 2-4cyli to 1-4 cyli:))
(90 deg), one 1-8cyli (45 deg) and use a polygon for the final 5
degrees.

In case this is legal (see below) I'll let a 1-4cyli connect to the back flat
part
and a 1-8 cyli connect to the front flat part and connect the two cylinders
with a polygon. That way I don't have to redo that much:)

John VanZwieten wrote:
LDraw parts usually use 16 quads (each representing 22.5 degrees of the
cylinder).  This works for small and medium sized cylinders, but for large
cylinders more quads should be used.

After seeing this post (something about parts creating) I have a few questions:
What exactly is a large cylinder? The cylinders I'm working with here are
about 40 LDu's in radius.
After looking at Glöckner's renderings of his sketch, the round parts looks
very round, does POVRay render theese 16agons as circles?
If I'm about to do my own cylinder with, say, 32 faces (I'll only do 1/4 or
1/8 of them)
is it then possible to create a sort of personal primitive, that can be used
in parts aspiring to be made official? I'm later planning on doing an even
bigger bucket (the one from set 8459, does anyone know the part number for
this one?), so it would be quite useful to have such a "high-res" cylinder for
later use. Unless, ofcourse, that it doesn't make any difference.

Sincerely
John