 CAD / Development / 3669
Re: Using parts in p\48\ (was: part 2951, more questions, nearly done)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 09:09:36 GMT

"John Jensen" <skurt@vip.cybercity.dk> writes:

hmm okay, I simply calculated the coordinates, sine and cosine relations are
our friends:)

Sure, no problem.  I prefer to inline and find the true coordinates of
the polygons in the primitives, though.  There may be some small
rounding errors both in your sine calculations and in LEdit's, and if
they don't match, you'll get small holes in the surface.  If you check
directly with the inlined primitives, you'll avoid this.

Yes I will really have to look in to that, I might require some help setting
it up, the only time I touched my .emacs file was when installing AUCTex, and
that was done from a very good example (read copy/paste) :)

:-) If you're only using Emacs on a UNIX flavoured system, there may
be no real point in installing LDraw-mode, as you are probably using a
different system to view the results (in LDraw or LDLITE or whatever).

If you're using Emacs on a Windows system, it may be a benefit to
install LDraw-mode, as you can view the changes as you edit the file
by having LDLITE running in "poll for changes mode" in the background.
If you're used to Emacs, it is fairly simple to inline a given part or
primitive (C-c C-i), grab the information you want and then undo the
changes to revert the buffer back to where you were working.  I prefer
this way of working, but others may prefer the "point and click"
approach of LDAO.

If you have Emacs on a Windows system, you can simply put the
ldraw-mode.el source file where the Emacs-Lisp files reside (search
for files with the ".elc" extention), byte-compile it (this is
somewhat optional, but byte-compiling it will speed it up) and put
the line

    (load "ldraw-mode")

in the file C:\_EMACS.  Also, if you want inlining to work, you need
to check that the `ldraw-base-dir' variable is correct.  Look in the
beginning of the source file and make any changes needed.

There is a link to a version of Emacs for windows at

    http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/technic/ldraw-mode/

If you have any problems with this approach, please email me.  The
interest in this application is probably not large enough to suggest a
discussion in lugnet.cad.dev!  :-)

Fredrik