 CAD / Development / 3631
3630  |  3632
Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Re: part 2951, more questions, nearly done
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 22:37:01 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, John Jensen wrote:

After seeing this post (something about parts creating) I have a few questions:
What exactly is a large cylinder? The cylinders I'm working with here are
about 40 LDu's in radius.

Fredrick mentioned part 6222, the 4x4 round brick.  This part was done just
before the hi-res primitives were established.  If it had been created after the
primitives, it surely would have been written to use them.

If I'm about to do my own cylinder with, say, 32 faces (I'll only do 1/4 or
1/8 of them)
is it then possible to create a sort of personal primitive, that can be used
in parts aspiring to be made official? I'm later planning on doing an even
bigger bucket (the one from set 8459, does anyone know the part number for
this one?), so it would be quite useful to have such a "high-res" cylinder for
later use. Unless, ofcourse, that it doesn't make any difference.

Definitely use the hi-res, 48-agon primitives found in ldraw\p\48\.

There is an established policy of not created primitive files until they are
needed.  So you're likely to notice that there are not many hi-res primitives (I
count 7 files right now).  If you see a need for a primitive that doesn't exist
yet, you can certainly create one, or request that one be written.

There is a small group of people who review and approve new primitives (I've got
one to submit to them tonight).  The best way to proceed on new primitives is to
send them to me at partsref@worldnet.att.net.  I will forward them to the
primitives group.

If you have a need for a subfile which doesn't seem to fit the idea of a
primitive, you can instead write the file to be added to the subparts directory,
parts\s\.  To use a file a file located in parts\s\, you must put the s\ on the
front of the file reference:

1 16 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 s\25931-12.dat

There's no special approval or passcode needed to use the parts\s\ directory,
except for the normal parts approval process.  My suggested guidelines for
subparts are:

1. If you're concerned about saving filespace, don't worry unless creating the
subfile saves at least 32K on the total file size.  Any less than that, and it's
likely that having multiple files will eat up more space (on crowded, small
FAT16 drives) than will be saved.
2. If you need a dithered color for a decoration, you must use a subpart.
3. If you've got several parts which could benefit from the subpart file, go
ahead and subfile.

To develop files for parts\s\, I suggest that you create an ldraw\models\s\
directory, and put the file there.  This keeps your development code out of the
production library, and still allows you to write the main file to work
correctly.

Steve