 CAD / Development / 1966
Re: Lossless outlining (Was: [ldraw.org] Progress)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 14:14:19 GMT

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999 22:50:13 GMT, Tim Courtney <tim@zacktron.com> wrote:

Sounds like a good feature to have around as well.  What is the format
difference between inlining and mpd anyways?  They both contain multiple
ldraw models in one file...

Inlining isn't a format, it's an operation.  A file-reference (type 1 line)
is replaced with the contents of the referenced file, but the color and
transform (position, rotation, scaling) from the original command are
applied to each line from the subfile.

When LDAO inlines, it leaves a copy of the original line, commented out.
But that's not a requirement of inlining, I just thought it was a
reasonably good idea.[1]

I don't know of any tool to do inlining, other than LDAO.

MPD is a file format, where multiple files are listed in a single file.
The separate files are delimited by 0 FILE meta-statements.  0 FILE also
provides the filename for the block of LDraw code which follows it.

Jacob has written command-line MPD building and splitting tools, and Onyx
(ONYX?) created M-Peedy, a Windows-based MPD tool.

MPD's have a couple of advantages besides the ability to be split:

1. They're smaller, because each file is only included once, even if it's
referenced many times.  This can be significant if the MPD includes
unofficial parts, or is a scene which includes a bunch of models (fleets of
identical ships, f'rinstance).

2. The files in an MPD don't *have* to all be part of a single master file.
They don't even have to be valid DAT files (but LDLite wouldn't do much
with invalid files).  So the model MPD's could include alternate versions
of models (one for step-by-step building, another without steps for
rendering), comment files, etc.

Inlining has the obvious advantage that it produces a vanilla DAT file,
fully compatible with LDraw and LEdit.

Steve