 CAD / Development / 1440
Re: [ldraw.org] Domain Registration
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 02:11:47 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley) writes:
Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
Anyway, if most people would rather have waited until the price
drops, and feel that it is wrong not to wait and save some $$$,
I'll make up the difference ($70 - $x, whatever x turns out to be).
OK with that?  :)

Oh, I agree with most of what you said, and ultimately it is your
money.

I guess I just have a problem with spending more money than necessary.
We put in an order for office supplies from this place we have a
contract with, a place that will deliver the next day.  The person in
charge of the billing dept just orders stuff out of there without
thinking about looking for better prices.  I could have had my group's
supplies the next day but I decided to check the campus computer
store.  Got 3 times as many blank floppies for half the price as the
catalog.  I'll have to wait a week or so for the paperwork to go
through, but I'd rather save the money, even though paying more isn't
a problem and it isn't my money anyway.  Just can't bring myself to
overspend.

But no one else is going to snap up all of your supplier's paper from under
your nose if you don't act immediately.  And you're probably ordering a bit
ahead, so that a delay in delivery of future supplies doesn't affect your
ability to continue using your current supply.

Here, although it is relatively unlikely, someone else -could- appear out of
the blue, either coincidentally or mischievously, and register ldraw.org
before Tim does, if he doesn't act quickly.  Second, I'll bet you that
having the domain registered and pointing to Jacob's machine sooner rather
than later will get the ball rolling in the right direction more quickly
than waiting for the fees to drop.

Thing is, once you've got a domain registered and an HTTP server connected
to it, it's pretty hard to resist plopping *some* kind of data onto it, for
the same reasons that the bear went over the mountain and George Leigh
Mallory climbed Mt. Everest.

Does the new site necessarily need to be 100% complete before it can start
adding value?  For example, moving a self-contained resource such as Bram
Lambrecht's LDraw & LEdit Tutorial to www.ldraw.org (with Bram's blessing,
naturally) or the LDraw FAQ would be an extremely easy task.  Would moving
these not in fact provide immediate value to new LDraw users?

http://library.advanced.org/20551/     --> http://www.ldraw.org/tutorial/
http://hugin.risoe.dk/JJ_Memorial/FAQ/ --> http://www.ldraw.org/faq/

--Todd