 CAD / Development / 1368
Re: [ldraw.org] Domain Registration
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 02:12:53 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley) writes:
Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
If money is the issue, then count me in for whatever it takes to
make it happen right now rather than later.  I don't think it pays
to delay registration of something this important.

Hrmmm, inherently cheap bastard that I am, I can't agree.  This has
been discussed for _months_.  What's another couple of weeks?

That's a good argument for waiting, but I don't think there's any way that
it possibly hurts things to register it now.  Acting as quickly as possible
eliminates any possible shred of risk that some other organization or
entrepreneur might snatch it up before it's too late...especially once the
fees drop, if they do.

Heck, we registered the lugnet.com domain way back in January of 1997, long
before anything existed on the site.  We also grabbed cubetoys.com and
brickwise.com future back-burner projects.  I'd expect to see a *lot* more
domain grabbing when the prices drop.  But even now, they're already so darn
cheap!

Anyway, if most people would rather have waited until the price drops, and
feel that it is wrong not to wait and save some $$$, I'll make up the
difference ($70 - $x, whatever x turns out to be).  OK with that?  :)

Wasn't
there some mention at one point of taking the extra funds and buying
software or development tools or something that could be used by the
programmers?

That's a great idea.  Unrelated to the actual act of registering the domain
though.

--Todd