 CAD / Development / 10962 (-20)
  Re: Convert to Wavefront object?

(...) the program. Travis informed me that LDview can also convert to 3DS and OBJ, so I'll try that. -Mike (15 years ago, 13-Apr-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Convert to Wavefront object?

(...) Michael Heidemann's Inliner should do the job fine! (URL) Philo (15 years ago, 12-Apr-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Convert to Wavefront object?

(...) That's what I suspected. Do you know how to meake all the parts/primitives inline? -Mike (15 years ago, 12-Apr-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Convert to Wavefront object?

(...) Sorry about that, the program may only work with the geometry so all the parts/primitves would probably need to be inlined. It also may need to have a DAT extention rather than MPD. (15 years ago, 11-Apr-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Convert to Wavefront object?

(...) there are no error messages. here's the command line I'm using: 3dto3d minifig.mpd /if9 /of19 /dminifig.obj /ov /ip"J:\ProgsWin\LDraw\parts" /ip"J:\ProgsWin\LDraw\p" I'm assuming it has something to do with it not finding the parts/primitives. (...) (15 years ago, 11-Apr-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Convert to Wavefront object?

(...) Textures are more widely supported in programs where users actually interact/play with 3D models, though. So you are limited basically to rendering still images or animations. Stefan Garcia wrote: (...) animations, however. This is what I want (...) (15 years ago, 11-Apr-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Orion or Carsten: please contact me regarding LDDP

(...) Thanks Willy. That explains a lot. I knew he was in the navy, but thought I'd seen more posts from him relatively recently. (...) That's OK. My suggestion requires coding, so my contacting Carsten won't be too useful if he's no longer coding (...) (15 years ago, 10-Apr-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Convert to Wavefront object?

The materials are imported properly into Blender, but whether they would be exported as .obj is a guess on my part. Materials are better in this case, not textures. As for Blender being a "pig" program, it's a 9MB download that is completely free, (...) (15 years ago, 10-Apr-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Orion or Carsten: please contact me regarding LDDP

(...) Orion is on duty. (...) No he doesn't - Orion is the only coder right now. I was able to contact Carsten to sign the Third Party Agreement for the AIOI though - let me know if you want his new address anyway. w. (15 years ago, 10-Apr-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Convert to Wavefront object?

(...) I was hoping not to have to install another pig application package just to do a conversion. Also, are the materials imported properly? Ideally they would be converted to textures since they are more common. -Mike (15 years ago, 10-Apr-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Convert to Wavefront object?

(...) 3Dto3D bt Thomas Baier works pretty well as it has support for converting between LDraw DAT files to Wavefront OBJ as well as several other formats. You can get it at: h(URL) (15 years ago, 10-Apr-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Convert to Wavefront object?

You could import the files into Blender3D and export them to .obj format. It probably won't look very pretty though. -Stefan- (15 years ago, 10-Apr-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Convert to Wavefront object?

Is there a free means of converting LDraw models to Wavefront object (*.obj) files? Thanks! -Mike (15 years ago, 9-Apr-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Orion or Carsten: please contact me regarding LDDP

(...) I haven't gotten anything from Orion. Carsten, do you still work on LDDP? I seem to remember you don't, but if you do, send me an email, and I'll let you know what my suggestion is. --Travis (15 years ago, 9-Apr-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: POV-Ray help needed

(...) I forgot the beginning of this thread, and misunderstood your "15% faster" comment. I see now that you're referring to the flattened mesh2 data for the part. I was mis-reading it to be that mesh2 is 15% faster than mesh (which I know you never (...) (15 years ago, 9-Apr-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: POV-Ray help needed

(...) Thanks for the info. I have implemented mesh2 support in LDView's export as part of my new curve smoothing support for POV exports, but haven't completely removed the mesh support (although it is currently hard-coded to use mesh2 whether or (...) (15 years ago, 9-Apr-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: POV-Ray help needed

(...) Hi Travis, I've finally picked up the povray export project again, You were right I needed to calculate the horizontal fov from the vertical one used in OpenGL. Also you may be interested in knowing that I now also have a basic "hierarchical (...) (15 years ago, 9-Apr-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Orion: please contact me regarding LDDP

Sorry for the personal post, but I've sent two emails to Orion without a response to either (the first sent months ago), so I'm concerned that my messages are being swallowed by a SPAM filter. Orion, I had a suggestion for improving the interaction (...) (15 years ago, 4-Apr-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  XMPD.DLL

Some month (or years?) ago I asked for somebody to make a dll that can be used by other software authors to write more easily applications for LDraw files. As there was nobody answering, I started to this myself. As I do not have experience with C (...) (15 years ago, 15-Mar-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: MPD Wizard 1.0b

(...) Thank you! Jetro (15 years ago, 29-Jan-09, to lugnet.cad.dev)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact