 CAD / Development / 10948
Re: POV-Ray help needed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 2009 23:02:29 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Travis Cobbs wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Roland Melkert wrote:
Also you may be interested in knowing that I now also have a basic
"hierarchical compositions" export in place (no lgeo, no primitive
substitutions (yet)). And it seems the mesh2 approach, i used before, is
about 15-20% faster on bigger models. So I keep that option in the final
version for faster test runs.

Thanks for the info.  I have implemented mesh2 support in LDView's export as
part of my new curve smoothing support for POV exports, but haven't completely
removed the mesh support (although it is currently hard-coded to use mesh2
whether or not curve smoothing is enabled).  If mesh2 is generally faster, I'll
probably just leave it as the only option.

I forgot the beginning of this thread, and misunderstood your "15% faster"
comment.  I see now that you're referring to the flattened mesh2 data for the
part.  I was mis-reading it to be that mesh2 is 15% faster than mesh (which I
know you never said or implied anywhere).

It sounds like I should give the user the option of doing this as well.  Since I
already do it when curve smoothing is enabled, I just need to allow it to happen
with curve smoothing disabled, and then simply skip the actual curve smoothing
step.

--Travis