 CAD / Development / *330 (-20)
  Part Numbering Crisis in LDraw

Everyone, We are facing a major problem in numbering parts in LDraw. For quite some time I have been trying to follow a 3 rule plan for numbering pieces: 1. Full accuracy when possible 2. Use official TLG numbers if we have them 3. Use temporary (...) (26 years ago, 26-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  STOP Voting!

Sorry folks, The CGI server I was using for vote processing seems to have crapped out. So until I get a fix for it, please hold off on trying to do any voting. -- Terry K -- (26 years ago, 26-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: DAT voting page up

(...) Assuming they pass the vote, then yes, you can send fixes. See Jonathan? This is what happens (and will happen) when you don't have real-life examples to work from. You may think they are accurate, but you really don't know. -- Terry K -- (26 years ago, 26-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Modeling without the real element -- bad

(...) No, there is no strict rule. More of a common sense rule. But apparantly, common sense is not always sufficient. How could I possible enforce such a rule? And there would always be valid exceptions to it (see John VanZ's post) (...) Sending (...) (26 years ago, 26-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Modeling without the real element -- bad

(...) Some of the parts you sent me were representations of parts that are complex in real life. Complex meaning that they have fine details that _should_ be modeled. (...) And even those "simple" parts are deficient. The magnifying glass is a good (...) (26 years ago, 26-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: DAT voting page up

Bram Lambrecht wrote in message (...) Hear, hear. Or is it here, here. Shrug..... Roy (26 years ago, 26-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: DAT voting page up

(...) the (...) much (...) If you added the numbers on the bottom of the pieces (which even appear in different sizes and different spots on the piece depending on the age) you would have to model the indentation under each "solid" stud too. Can you (...) (26 years ago, 26-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Modeling without the real element -- bad

people are saying that some of the parts i have made are very complex. which ones are being refered to? i deliberatly attempted simple parts like the magnifying glass, signal holder (i pulled the face from the metal detector) etc. i attempted the (...) (26 years ago, 25-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  concave polys and LDraw

just realized that LDraw doesn't like concave polys... so now i get to hack a test routine into MAX2DAT... anyone done one of these??? i think i have the formulas for it, so i'll give it a shot... but the 6580 wheel is done...all except for optional (...) (26 years ago, 25-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  (canceled)

  Re: DAT voting page up

(...) sure. is this a serious problem? (26 years ago, 25-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Modeling without the real element -- bad

regarding my raised baselpate it is now (in the version i sent to terry last night) it is now mabie only 3-4ldu out maxumum ,if that, the fix adds a stud along the bottom of the piece next to the ramp (i discovered that there was one missing) also (...) (26 years ago, 25-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Java LDraw/LDLite

(...) It's probably even easier now, with the new 2D graphics API finished (1), and a 3D API in the works. I don't claim to know how these work (or even if they're useful for anything :-) but I've seen the 2D API favorably compared to the (...) (26 years ago, 25-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: DAT voting page up

that would be my fault. all the things that i have seen regarding the lighting bricks are wrong then terry, if the lighting bricks get in or what ever then can i send you the fix? (26 years ago, 25-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Modeling without the real element -- bad

Todd Lehman wrote (...) that (...) haven't (...) just (...) Any station this net ... any staion this net ... is this thing working? Can anybody hear me? Darn thing must be on the blink again. Any station this net this Romeo Oscar Yankee. I say (...) (26 years ago, 25-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: DAT voting page up

Steve Bliss wrote in message <36d5afa3.15421162@l...et.com>... (...) Okay, I see that I was shooting for a kill and all I got was a dent. My point was to be made by what I'm calling the lot number, it may be the position number of the part on the (...) (26 years ago, 25-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

Todd Lehman wrote in message ... (...) that (...) haven't (...) just (...) them, (...) should (...) There are some exceptions to an otherwise good rule. For example, the new Technic Link which appears on the Y-wing. If I find out from someone how (...) (26 years ago, 25-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Modeling without the real element -- bad

(...) Indeed. In fact -- and maybe I'm reading too much into this -- but I'm surprised that there isn't a strict rule against submitting parts that have been modeled without having them in front of you. (Mock-ups noted as such being a valid (...) (26 years ago, 25-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Java LDraw/LDLite

(...) It's surprisingly easy. Java actually doesn't suck! :) You just allocate a buffer, designate it as being a graphics buffer, and call functions to do graphics primitives. Here's an example -- not probably a great example because it's 3 years (...) (26 years ago, 25-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Java LDraw/LDLite

(...) How do you draw (pixels) in Java? Are there built-in functions, or would it require platform-specific code, or what? Or graphics library, perhaps? Steve (26 years ago, 25-Feb-99, to lugnet.cad.dev)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact