 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5458
Re: Creating 47457.dat 2x2x2/3 Sloped&Rounded
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 03:20:49 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Niels Bugge wrote:
   I personally round off the numbers to 4 decimals, but I’ve been known to do crazy stuff like modelling in 1/100 (max zoom in mlcad) and use 1-24 parts of high res primitives from time to time. But I would suggest you to round off to (at least) two decimals as the default non coplanar threshold check in LDDP is 0.1, and you would create a lot of non coplanar-errors by rounding off to less. Does anybody know if the thresholds in other programs (like l3) is different, or can two decimals be accepted?

Anyways, regarding simplifying parts I think one should always consider the greebeling effect before erasing small detail (is the 4 pairs some internal detail? I don’t have the part).

Finally I’d like to congratulate you with your first part, nicely done, now you just have to BFC it, which is pretty easy. Here’s a tutorial: http://www.ldraw.org/library/tracker/ref/reviewfaq/

And then I’d just say that I look forward to your tutorial on how to calculate curved surfaces, conditional lines and I especially look forward to the translator to a game maker!

And now I’ll finally shut up and go away...

-NB

Features wish list

For the purpose of improved readability in LDAO, I thought of entering each vertex with 2 decimal places. Then I discovered the color-coded vertices in LDDP. It was better, but I still wish the vertices aligned in columns. Actually, I wish the vertices were objects. As objects, I’d desire certain properties and functionality.

For example:

First, I layed out a set of 4 T2s along each of the symetrical curved and sloped edges. As objects, one could layout one side and call a symetry function to set the other side.

Second, I drew T4s to cover the top surface by cutting and pasting vertices out of the T2s. Again, as objects, the vertices could be selected as input to creating the T4s (with proper winding, of course).

Third, I thought of laying out quads along the sloped sides. Instead, I followed convention and layed out pairs of T3s along the sloped sides. This is when I wished for a function that would take the vertices and create the T3s such that ABC is followed by ACD, then DCE, DEF, etc.

I guess I’m too spoiled by the functionality found in 3D modeling software like Blender

Simplifying parts

I tried to find a similar feature in another brick. The closest I could find is an 4204.dat Brick 8x16. In the corners are round posts. These are not represented in 4204.dat. In 47457, the features are positioned such that it acts as clips. since I have to add T5s and try to figure out BFC, then i will add these features.

Translating to Game Maker 3D objects

This is going to take some work. I will move on this slowly but surely. My first challenge is to render only the surface of the model.

Creating Next Part from scratch

I’m working on it! What fun! .