 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5186
Re: CMDLINE (Issues on Parts Tracker)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 00:27:55 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Franklin W. Cain wrote:
I like using the CMDLINE as a concise way of documenting the default (i.e., the
*usual*, not necessarily the *only*) color of a part.  The CMDLINE is usually
shorter than the corresponding sentence.  For example, for the Minifig Flame,
I'd rather see this:

0 CMDLINE -c57

...than this:

0 // This part is most often cast in Trans-Orange (color code 57)...

On the other hand, the latter may be of more obvious use to LDraw neophytes,
which is a good thing.  But as long as we (authors) are granted *some* means of
documenting the default color of a part, I'm OK with that.  (In other words, if
you insist on not letting me use CMDLINE, I would be grateful for the favor of
being allowed to use a more human-friendly comment, like the one above,
inreplacement of the CMDLINE, to document a fact I thought was worth
documenting.  Thanks in advance.)

Thanks,
Franklin

I have always liked CMDLINE followed by a default colour, and I have the feeling
that I am one of those who have used it most times. I also think it really is a
pity that it hasn't been used by any [online] catalog or other partlisters (that
I know of).

Some panels have their patterns turned away from the "camera" in delfault view.
I think there was a discussion long time ago of using CMDLINE to flip those
parts, and maybe to zoom in or out very small and huge parts. Now, the zooming
can be handled automatically without CMDLINE

If the CMDLINE had been used this way, it should only be used as *only* colour.

As I have tried to concentrate on making old, discontinued LEGO parts, the big
problem with TLG may issue the part in another colour does not affect my parts.
The only risk is that TLC may have issued a part in a colour that I haven't seen
or heard of.

I could live with CMDLINE suggesting a *usual* colour. It would be nice if you
can have it as an option in a building program; check a box and the program will
set the suggested colour of the chosen part.

/Tore