 CAD / 894
Re: Clone "semi-bricks" (Was: Non-TLG Parts)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 06:49:50 GMT

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999 02:18:28 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote:

In lugnet.cad, legoverse@geocities.com (Terry K) writes:
[...] I am not sure about Duplo/Toolo/Primo though.  Those have a very
limited inter-connectivity.

Do you mean between each other or between DUPLO/PRIMO and SYSTEM?  I've
always thought that DUPLO and PRIMO were wonderfully compatible with each
other.  Not only is there a large 1x1 PRIMO brick with 4 DUPLO studs on top
(a half-half PRIMO/DUPLO hybrid brick, in other words), but PRIMO bricks in
general simply plop down perfectly onto DUPLO bricks just as SYSTEM bricks
in general simply plop down perfectly onto DUPLO bricks.

(DUPLO Toolo is of course part of DUPLO just like ThrowBots are part of
TECHNIC.)

Sorry, I meant between System and Duplo.
Quite right about Duplo/Toolo -  I just like saying "Toolo"  :-)

BTW, does TLG make a Toolo Belt?  <g>

But it the demand is there for them, it would be a total tragedy.

It would be a total tragedy if there was a demand for them?  Or it would be
a total tragedy if there was a demand for them and they weren't ever
modeled?

I'd be surprised (but happy) if someone started modeling DUPLO and PRIMO
bricks anytime soon (say, in the next six months or year).  But I'd also be
surprised (and kind of bummed) if 5 years went by and there was still no
interest.

I suppose the demand for LDraw versions of DUPLO and PRIMO elements probably
won't reach critical mass until powerful realtime 3D rendering and animation
tools become ubiquitous.  I could see a lot more utility/enjoyment in an
animated DUPLO or PRIMO video clip than in a static DUPLO/PRIMO instruction
page.

--Todd

<g> Talk about typo's......
I meant to type "it wouldn't be a total tragedy" if they were added. :-)
Eventually, I bet there will be Duplo's, and it would not be that big of a
deal.  I would guess that they would be placed in a "Duplo" category, much as
the few Scala parts are now in the "Scala" category
I say "few" because Steve just sent me a new one to go with the two already
there.

-- Terry K --