 CAD / 525
Re: Update on Virtual Plans
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.build
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 13:43:35 GMT

blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve Bliss) writes:

Interesting, I just pushed some numbers through Excel, and it looks
like 12L beams are the only beams suited for diagonal bracing.  They
can be placed at two different pitches (advancing 6 or 8
stud-widths).

True, this is because it makes a phytagorean trinagle, right, with
6-8-10 sides.  (A multiple of 3-4-5.)

I've also used this fact to make a modular tower suitable for a creeping
crane (that's the correct term, right?).  So far, only the tower is
done.  If you're interested, sneak a peek at

    http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/technic/creeping-crane/

I still haven't figured out how to make the base and the actual crane
arm, though.  And my one and only turntable is in use, so I can't make
the rotating "head" right now.

Do anybody else have a design for a crane tower that is efficient and
nice?  It shouldn't have too many pieces, but still be rigid.  My design
has a tad too many pieces, I guess, but I think it's cool to be able to
make each section from four identical "panel" elements.

I'd like to be able to pick up the entire model when it's actually
complete (even if I need a friend or two to help me).

D'you mean you're actually going to complete it?  You've got that many
transparent pieces and so on?  *boggle*

(I've taken this tread to lugnet.build now.  Please obey the

Fredrik