 CAD / 484
Re: Update on Virtual Plans
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 17:30:12 GMT

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999 09:25:36 GMT, legoverse@geocities.com (Terry K)
wrote:

On your FTL ducts, are the red things the much-awaited canoe? If not,
what the heck is it?

Bingo!  I figured you'd get that one (and no one else would).

And do those barrel pieces come in yellow?  I have only seen brown.
(I keep hoping for gray)

Nope, no yellow.  I'm not sure why I colored them that way (it's been
awhile since I worked on that file).  There have been a few in black, in
the original Space Shuttle set(s), but all the others are brown.

The palm tree trunk piece is becoming common enough in black that I
might use that instead.

You mention in the 'core' section that you think it will need beefing
up to support the weight.  My advice:
Over-do it.  Long structures tend to both bend and twist.
And in looking at the overall picture, I see you will need to do some
seriously creative structural reinforcement to keep it all together.

You can talk about FTL, gravity control, and inertial dampening,  but
the one thing you will  _really_ need is a structural integrity
field.(1)  :-)

-- Terry K --
1.  Elmer's glue is _not_ a structural integrity field.  :-)

I don't think I ever claimed to be a LEGO purist. ;)

Seriously, I have no idea how to make the core strong enough.  I've
built a prototype of one of the LQ/EPs, and it is *heavy*.  I think I
need to put in more windows.  And make it shorter, both in height and
depth.

I'd like to be able to pick up the entire model when it's actually
complete (even if I need a friend or two to help me).  I might have to
sacrifice the idea of the crew being able to walk through the core, and
make the core more-or-less solid (or at least impassable).  I'll just
put transmats in each module.

Steve