 CAD / 509
508  |  510
Subject:
Large, strong building (Re: Update on Virtual Plans)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.build
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 16:47:31 GMT

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 01:59:07 GMT, legoverse@geocities.com (Terry K)
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999 17:30:12 GMT, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve
Bliss) wrote:
Seriously, I have no idea how to make the core strong enough.  I've
built a prototype of one of the LQ/EPs, and it is *heavy*.  I think I
need to put in more windows.  And make it shorter, both in height and
depth.

You might try an open framework of technic beams.  With a central
corridor large enough for a MF.
How about an upper and lower beam, approx MF height apart. Connect
with shorter beams vertically and some longer ones stretching
diagonally corner to corner.  Assuming all the ratios come out right
and work, that should be fairly stiff.  Then just figure out how to
hide it internally.
(boy, it sure is easy to spout advice like that <g>)

Has anyone used the large arch pieces to reinforce large structures?
Especially the 1x12x3 full-arch.  It seems like placing a few of those
elements across two 'walls' of the beam-girders Terry has described
above would be a decent start on a solid (strong, not all-filled-in)
construction.

Steve