 CAD / 503
Re: Update on Virtual Plans
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 15:35:35 GMT

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 01:59:07 GMT, legoverse@geocities.com (Terry K)
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999 17:30:12 GMT, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve
Bliss) wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999 09:25:36 GMT, legoverse@geocities.com (Terry K)
wrote:

On your FTL ducts, are the red things the much-awaited canoe? If not,
what the heck is it?

Bingo!  I figured you'd get that one (and no one else would).

Ah.  This wasn't just because I once said I don't care if the canoe
ever gets done in LDraw, is it?  Just sticking it in my face and
saying "See! Canoes -can- be used in space"  :-)

Once?  I thought we had a running gag on that one.

I think the trunks would look better.  They have that nice flared end
on 'em.  The barrels always seem to look too much like, well, barrels.

Maybe I could just stuff the canoes full of trans-orange flames, ala
Time Cruisers.

Wow, that would be hideous.

You might try an open framework of technic beams.  With a central
corridor large enough for a MF.

That was my general hope.

How about an upper and lower beam, approx MF height apart. Connect
with shorter beams vertically and some longer ones stretching
diagonally corner to corner.  Assuming all the ratios come out right
and work, that should be fairly stiff.

I don't want to push too hard against lugnet.build (well, maybe I do,
but I'm not quite ready) so I'll keep this short.  Last night I made a
simple 2D frame, with 12L beams diagonally bracing two super-beams built
from 16L beams and 1x4 plates above and below.  It worked fairly well,
but I needed occasional uprights of bricks between the horizontal beams.
Those were move important than putting 10L beams vertically with
friction pegs.

Interesting, I just pushed some numbers through Excel, and it looks like
12L beams are the only beams suited for diagonal bracing.  They can be
placed at two different pitches (advancing 6 or 8 stud-widths).  No
other long-beam can do diagonals (using the full length of the beam).
No wonder TLG doesn't make as many 10L beams.

Then just figure out how to
hide it internally.
(boy, it sure is easy to spout advice like that <g>)

Actually, I figured the central hull would be pretty much rough and
exposed.  All the living on the ship takes place in the modules, the
central corridor is just a way to get from one module to another.  And
it occasionally serves to let the engineers get at problem spots.

I'd like to be able to pick up the entire model when it's actually
complete (even if I need a friend or two to help me).  I might have to
sacrifice the idea of the crew being able to walk through the core, and
make the core more-or-less solid (or at least impassable).  I'll just
put transmats in each module.

Oh yeah, wimp out.  Take the techno-babble route.  :-)

Well, I've already been accused of looking like Star Trek (which I had
kinda realized, already).  Why not go all the way?

Steve