 CAD / 475
  Update on Virtual Plans

Just a quick note. I made a few updates and additions to my plans for a large-ish space ship. I'm posting this to lugnet.cad, because I haven't actually built anything yet! Anyway, it's at (URL) if you want to take a look. Steve (26 years ago, 12-Jan-99, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Update on Virtual Plans  [DAT]

(...) Cool Ideas Steve! ever since I saw that page, I've had this idea bouncing around in my head for a sliding door... I finally LDrawed it just to get it down... It's similar in style to yours, but it is only 2 studs thick instead of 3 (alright, (...) (26 years ago, 13-Jan-99, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Update on Virtual Plans

(...) Though i've been there before, this is a great set of modular plans. The engine room reminds me of Star Trek sort of (can't explain why). When completed, this should look it belongs in Futuron. -Tom McD. (26 years ago, 13-Jan-99, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Update on Virtual Plans

(...) Still plugging away at that behemoth, eh? It looks much better now with ldlite'd pictures. (ldlite'd? did I just coin a phrase?) On your FTL ducts, are the red things the much-awaited canoe? If not, what the heck is it? And do those barrel (...) (26 years ago, 13-Jan-99, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Update on Virtual Plans

(...) Bingo! I figured you'd get that one (and no one else would). (...) Nope, no yellow. I'm not sure why I colored them that way (it's been awhile since I worked on that file). There have been a few in black, in the original Space Shuttle set(s), (...) (26 years ago, 13-Jan-99, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Update on Virtual Plans

Steve Bliss writes: (snip!) (...) What about building arms off the core? Then attach the LQ/EP's to the top and bottom? That way, you don't have the silly things hanging by their tails. Ben Vaughan buster@marsbase.com www.marsbase.com ---...--- The (...) (26 years ago, 13-Jan-99, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Update on Virtual Plans

(...) Do you mean structural arms, or arms with access passageways? It seems a little mean to make the crew scale ladders to get to their quarters (but not out of the question -- they are explorers and scientists; they shouldn't mind a little (...) (26 years ago, 13-Jan-99, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Update on Virtual Plans

(...) What's wrong with Shoeboxes hanging off a bar? I assume this ship is only ever designed for space flight not atmospheric. As long as the ship can withstand the force exerted by the engines (Or has inertial dampers) it's fine. Take a look at a (...) (26 years ago, 13-Jan-99, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Update on Virtual Plans

(...) Ah. This wasn't just because I once said I don't care if the canoe ever gets done in LDraw, is it? Just sticking it in my face and saying "See! Canoes -can- be used in space" :-) (...) I think the trunks would look better. They have that nice (...) (26 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Update on Virtual Plans

(...) {The Coke Cans don't have to deal with acceleration. So that's not a good example.) Maybe my goal should be that BR's final appearance should lie somewhere between the international space station and the Enterprise in apparent fragility... I (...) (26 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Update on Virtual Plans

(...) Once? I thought we had a running gag on that one. (...) Maybe I could just stuff the canoes full of trans-orange flames, ala Time Cruisers. Wow, that would be hideous. (...) That was my general hope. (...) I don't want to push too hard against (...) (26 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Update on Virtual Plans

I made a couple of quick additions to the Spaceship BR pages. I added a page for the Personnel Transmat Station, and I uploaded a zip containing all the source DAT files. And I changed the start page. See (URL) for links to the new stuff. (...) (26 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Update on Virtual Plans

(...) it looks like i'm jumping in late here, steve, but this is turning an already very cool project into something quite awesome. your attention to detail is quite impressive. personally i like the way we are being introduced to parts of the ship (...) (26 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Update on Virtual Plans

(...) excellent! i'm going to take a peek at the engine room as a pov file! ..jg (26 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.cad)

  Large, strong building (Re: Update on Virtual Plans)

(...) Has anyone used the large arch pieces to reinforce large structures? Especially the 1x12x3 full-arch. It seems like placing a few of those elements across two 'walls' of the beam-girders Terry has described above would be a decent start on a (...) (26 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.build)

  Re: Update on Virtual Plans  [DAT]

Just a quick bit (sort of). Here's a basic example of trying to work in some 1x12x3 arches for X-Y plane strength. The arches are the gray bits buried in the structure. The red beams help with Y-Z strength. I need to add something to prevent X-Z (...) (26 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.cad.dat)

  Re: Update on Virtual Plans

(...) Thanks. I really want to model the actual bridge deck in LDraw. I like the way it's laid out. The current images don't do it justice. (...) That's because I can only work on this project bit by bit. (...) Yes, but I pulled them out because I (...) (26 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Update on Virtual Plans

(...) I am not a big ship/stations sort of guy. So if I attend such a lego-fest I will bring several standard De-Connectors to blow the thing to smithereens.(1) :-) -- Terry K -- 1. I believe that is the first time I have ever used "smithereens". (26 years ago, 15-Jan-99, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Update on Virtual Plans

(...) Must be a running gag. It sure as hell isn't floating. (...) Hideous? I thought it was hilarious. But please don't do it. (...) That is interesting. I will have to try to remember that factoid. (...) You look like Star Trek? What an enigmatic (...) (26 years ago, 15-Jan-99, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Update on Virtual Plans

(...) Ouch. (...) Hideous, hilarious. Is there a difference? Oh, yeah. Hilarious: "I was sitting around last night, playing with some different ideas, and I threw this thing together. It's a fast little space ship. I especially like the racing (...) (26 years ago, 15-Jan-99, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Update on Virtual Plans

(...) True, this is because it makes a phytagorean trinagle, right, with 6-8-10 sides. (A multiple of 3-4-5.) I've also used this fact to make a modular tower suitable for a creeping crane (that's the correct term, right?). So far, only the tower is (...) (26 years ago, 15-Jan-99, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.build)

  Re: Update on Virtual Plans

(...) I don't remember for sure, but I started working on the canoe part because I wanted to use the canoe on this model. I *do* remember that I started playing around with the idea of canoe-as-drive-port as an exercise in using SPUDs in unusual (...) (26 years ago, 15-Jan-99, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Update on Virtual Plans

(...) You defined those terms pretty well. (...) Good one, I had to read that twice before I got it. :-) (...) See "Hideous" above. (...) That's OK. I just received two _large_ loads of parts files. No need to add more. Please. -- Terry K -- (26 years ago, 16-Jan-99, to lugnet.cad)