 CAD / 4066
Re: LDView (formerly L3DView) v0.6 released
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 19:00:23 GMT

Do v0.5.1 or v0.5.2 work for you?  I added a feature in v0.5.1 which I
believe was responsible for some of the problems people are having.  Since I
don't experience the problems on my systems (either at home or at work),
it's a little difficult to track them down.  I made a change in v0.6 which I
THOUGHT would solve the problem, but it may not.  If v0.5 works for you, but
v0.5.1 doesn't, I have some other ideas to try to get future versions
working again.

One other possibility is that my new code to which stores the path to LDraw
in the registry might be broken, and it's not finding the parts.  If you
could, run regedit, (Start->Run, then type regedit), then select
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Travis Cobbs\LDView in the folders on the left,
and let me know if you have a key on the right named LDrawDir.  If you do,
make sure it is the correct path to LDraw (without a trailing '\').  If the
LDrawDir entry doesn't exist, you should either have LDraw installed in
C:\LDRAW, or have the LDRAWDIR environment variable set to the path to
LDraw.

As for acceleration, I don't know much about the G100, except that it was
mainly marketed as an inexpensive but fast business solution (high-speed,
high-quality 2D).  I don't know anything about its 3D capabilities.  I may
be able to try SciTech GLDirect, though, to see if I can get things working
with it.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@san.REMOVE.rr.com)
(Remove .REMOVE from address to send me e-mail.)

Anders Isaksson <isaksson.etuna@REMOVEebox.tninet.se> wrote in message
Travis Cobbs skrev i meddelandet ...
OK, I decided to go with LDView as the new name for L3DView.  It sounded
good to me, and it is very similar to the old name.

This new version (v0.6) has a bunch of other changes in addition to being
renamed.  I added a number of options, and fixed a few things.

OK. The previous version, L3DView 0.5 worked on my system, but this later
version LDView 0.6 just gives me a blank page. It loads the model allright • (it
takes time proportional to model size at least), but nothing renders, just • the
background color (which can be changed).

My system is:

PII 450, Matrox G100, 3DBlaster Voodoo2,
but it seems I dont get any hardware rendering (frame rate 1.8, about the • same
for both versions)

I tested with SciTech GLDirect (OpenGL through DirectX) too, but that just
gave an 'illegal page fault' at startup of any LDView version.

Does anyone know where I can find the hardware drivers for my • configuration?
(I checked Matrox, and didn't find anything, will check Voodoo next time • I'm
connected)

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery.htm