 CAD / 16896
Re: Instead of ~Moved to
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 2010 06:58:35 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Allen Smith wrote: <SNIP>
   What does annoy me is the spread of “alias” parts and hard-colored parts. The proliferation of duplicate part numbers is confusing, especially since I haven’t updated my part browser yet to filter them out.

Allen

Depending on their viewpoint and experience with LDraw, different users might argue that either inclusion OR exlclusion can be confusing. By including both in the library and providing a way to identify them through a strictly controlled header format, we open the possibility for applications to customise the parts list to the users preference.

- The hard-coloured parts do have a unique ‘_’ prefix to the description and an identifying line 4 ‘0 !LDRAW_ORG Part Physical_Colour ...’, either of which can be utilised by applications to identify these. The official library currently includes only 85 such files.

- The aliases have an identifying line 4 ‘0 !LDRAW_ORG Part Alias ...’, but a duplicate description. Would it help if we introduced a description prefix? There are currently only 38 such files.

Chris