 CAD / 16880
Re: Instead of ~Moved to
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 2010 03:42:45 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss wrote:
Tore,

I'm not really seeing the problem in the parts\s directory - there are 18 "moved
to" files there.

My parts directory has 456 "moved to" files, but there's not really any way
around having those -- they serve two purposes:

a) provide backwards compatibility for existing model files
b) because ldraw.org's distribution method can only add & update files,
providing stub files seems to be the best way to overwrite obsolete files.

Steve

For some reason, those 18 "moved to" files in parts\s make a lot of noise for
me. I know they shouldn't but they do and I haven't figured out the reason yet.

There is another problem. It is kind of subtile, so I don't know if I'm able to
communicate it in an understandable way with my stumbling English, but I'll try.
It brings a very unsatisfying feeling that an LDraw model will never ever be
finished. The same moment a new official parts update is realeased, I guess 99%
of all the tens of thousands of LDraw models made by LDraw users all over this
world through all these years are outdated and in need of a touch-up. We need to
ask ourselves if *this* really is accepatable.

While working on Datsville, my todo-list is unfortunately growing much faster
than the "done" items in the history file. This is of course not due to "moved
to" files; I have made a little DOS utility that changes the moved to references
in seconds. But it adds sordin to the inspiration knowing that a model will and
can never ever be finished, even if I've made all the changes I can think of. I
feel that I have the permission to edit those model files as much as I have to
in order to make Datsville "work" and maybe some day even expand again. Yet,
with this more or less expressed permission, I would feel less uncomfortable
with this poking into other people's work if I knew that someday when I reached
a level of perfection, I can finally leave a model file in peace as it is and
move on forward. I know I can't do that today. The next parts update, I'll have
to update almost all models again according to all the moved to parts.

Datville's "MovedTo.log" file is closing up to 500kB. Half a million characters.
That's a whole lot of name changes - and yet I know I have forgotten to add some
to the log file...

A "~Renamed to" tag would solve that problem and model files will not become
perpetually outdated.

/Tore