 CAD / 16884
Re: Instead of ~Moved to
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 2010 07:38:30 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tore Eriksson wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss wrote:
Tore,

<SNIP>

My parts directory has 456 "moved to" files, but there's not really any way
around having those -- they serve two purposes:

a) provide backwards compatibility for existing model files

The problem is that it doesn't. As I pointed out in my latest post,
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=16880 , almost every single existing LDraw model
file ever made needs to be updated with every parts update realeasd. That has
absolutely nothing to do with true backwards compability. Be it that this is
fully automatically made in many different LCad appclications. But nevertheless,
an LDraw model can never ever be considered as finished. And that is IMHO
opinion very unsatisfactory and needs to be addressed.

I don't understand what you're saying here, Tore.  The ~Moved To files prevent
the need to update already existing files by providing a back reference to the
old part number.  This prevents a part from disappearing from a model simply
because its number was updated.  Now the 2 primary LDraw editors (MLCad and
Bricksmith) automatically update a file to the new number based on the ~Moved To
but this is in no way required for the model to function correctly.

That being said, I agree that there is probably a better way but before we throw
out the old system we probably should at least get an actively developed and
accessible LDraw editor for the Windows platform.  SR 3D Builder requires 3D
acceleration (and is therefore inaccessible to some) and MLCad is effectively
dead development-wise (unless Micheal wants to open the code).  Implementing a
change before it is adopted by the developers is a bad idea and is the problem
we ran into with the LDConfig.ldr color definitions.

-Orion