 CAD / 16879
Re: Instead of ~Moved to
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 2010 23:53:57 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Michael Heidemann wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Scott Wardlaw wrote:
I also agree that the current system is...extravagant.  'litter files' also
seems like an appropriate term for the thousands of unnecessary files that
clutter my LDraw library.

Personnally, I'd like my library to only have actual parts; no ~Moved to files
or other 'litter files'.  This would probably break some of my Models, where I
didn't use the correct part, or an unnofficial part that had the wrong part
number.  However, I already have to figure out the 'right' part number for these
when I order real parts from Bricklink.

Could we release a parts-only library that does not contain the 'litter files'?
All new LDraw downloads could have this library with the option to add the
'litter files'.

I do like the ~Renamed for keeping the subparts clean for the library of parts
and 'litter files'.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Scott W.

I'm not much of an expert in this area, but that never stops me from shooting my
mouth off!

On unix (e.g. Mac), it would be easy enough to use grep/find to find the files
that contain "0 ~Moved to" and simply remove them.  Cygwin on Windows would also
make this possible.

Personally I appreciate it when MLCad upgrades parts within my models to the
most up to date names.  Without the "0 ~Moved do" how would it do this?  If you
were introduce a different mechanism, wouldn't that break the mechanism that
already exists in MLCad?

I'm not opposed to a better system, but isn't there a software base that already
depends on the current mechanism?

Kevin

Yes, another method will break MLCad's update mechanism. I also like that. But
maybe also another solution will work that way, but it has to be implemented.

On the other side if we use the proposed way you also will have the latest
geometrie if only a renaming took place.

Against this is that you have to manually change parts that reads '~Renamed to'
and also if there is an update to the geometrie or only BFC, you can not just
upload to corrected part to the PT, as you have to substitude the "old" version.
With that in mind I think it is at present not a good idea of changing the ~Move
to mechanism. Just for newbees the current way is the most easy way! And all the
other of us know what to do.

Advanced folks could have MovedTo directory and move all the "0 ~Moved To" files
there.  You can then add MovedTo to MLCad.ini to tell it about the MovedTo
directory.  You keep the MovedTo files (if you want), MLCad's auto update, and
yet not have them in the Parts directory.

Just thinkin' out loud.

cu
mikeheide

Kevin