 CAD / 16881
Re: Instead of ~Moved to
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 2010 04:37:49 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss wrote:
Tore,

<SNIP>

My parts directory has 456 "moved to" files, but there's not really any way
around having those -- they serve two purposes:

a) provide backwards compatibility for existing model files

The problem is that it doesn't. As I pointed out in my latest post,
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=16880 , almost every single existing LDraw model
file ever made needs to be updated with every parts update realeasd. That has
absolutely nothing to do with true backwards compability. Be it that this is
fully automatically made in many different LCad appclications. But nevertheless,
an LDraw model can never ever be considered as finished. And that is IMHO
opinion very unsatisfactory and needs to be addressed.

b) because ldraw.org's distribution method can only add & update files,
providing stub files seems to be the best way to overwrite obsolete files.

That is true - today. But I hope and believe that we can come up with some even
better solution.

/Tore