 CAD / 16889
Re: Instead of ~Moved to
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 2010 03:54:46 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Chris Dee wrote: snip
   It would be good to be able to remove the litter of unused files, such as orphaned subfiles, where a dithered colour has been inlined in the course of other changes, and this would be possible with a proper installer that could delete files during the installation. However when a Windows installer download was introduced with 2008-01 in response to requests from novice users, I received negative feedback from users who still wanted the familiar lack of sophistication of a zip archive.

The zip archive’s chief virtue is not its familiarity, but its cross-platform portability. It’s very important to maintain that.

   These orphans cannot even be replaced with zero-length files, because BrickSmith chokes on these.

I fixed that Bricksmith bug about a year and a half ago, so you don’t need to worry about it anymore.

I second the opinion that the utility of ~Moved files outweighs any annoyance. In Bricksmith, ~Moved parts go into a separate category so they never actually get in the way of model-building. What does annoy me is the spread of “alias” parts and hard-colored parts. The proliferation of duplicate part numbers is confusing, especially since I haven’t updated my part browser yet to filter them out.

Allen