 CAD / 16871
Re: Instead of ~Moved to
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 2010 07:36:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tore Eriksson wrote:
To me, all these "~Moved to" files are just trouble and extra work and lots of
extra files in the Parts, Parts\S, and P folders. And for each parts update, the
extra work and problems seem to increase exponentially.

SNIP

Hey guys, this is getting out of control! This system is in deed good for the
record, but with all these name changes, turning into a bureaucratic dinosaur,
harder and harder to handle.

Consider this alternative approach:

111.dat is edited to
0 ~Renamed to 2222
0 Name: 111.dat
0 Author: James Jessiman
0 !LDRAW_ORG Part UPDATE 2011-01
1 16  0 0 0  1 0 0  0 1 0  0 0 1  s\111s01.dat
0 ...
All part data remains in the original file.
All references point to the same subfile names.
Subfiles can stay untouched unless improvements are made to them.

0 Minifig This and That
0 Name: 2222.dat
0 !LDRAW_ORG Part UPDATE 2011-01
0 ...
1 16 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 111.dat
0

With this approach, the number of what I call litter files in the Parts folder
will unfortunately not decrease. But neither will it increase. But the number of
litter files in the Parts\S folder will decrease, and the potential sources of
problems will decrease dramatically I believe.

What do you think? Aneone agree with me?
/Tore

I agree with you! I have to think about the way we have to go with this new
approach for the many possible reasons of changing things, but at first look it
could be a nice way to minimize admin edit work. Maybe we will have both ways of
handling things depending on the problem to solve. But for renaming your
approach seems logical to me.

cu
mikeheide