 CAD / 15150
Re: New primitives?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2008 19:18:56 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
   In addition to the unit capped cylinder I suggested here http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dat/parts/?n=6310

First of all, I like the idea of a unit capped cylinder. The stud could then be changed to a reference to the new primitive. We could use x-ycylc as the filenames and call the primitive Cylinder Capped. This would be consistent with the existing 1-4cyls (Cylinder Sloped) primitive.

One concern about capped cylinders is that they would lead more multiples of cylinders - single-capped cylinders, double-capped cylinders, 1/4 capped cylinders, 2/4 capped cylinders, Hi-res 3/8 double-capped cylinders, etc. etc. And every single capped cylinder will actually be a compound primitive -- i.e., a composition of one or more cylinder, disc, and edge primitives.

While capped cylinders would be useful, I don’t think they would be worth the overhead.

Steve