 CAD / 15145

Subject:
New primitives?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2008 09:21:47 GMT

In addition to the unit capped cylinder I suggested here http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dat/parts/?n=6310 I’d also like to see some truncated disc and ndis primitives, like the red ones shown below (the truncated disc can also be seen as a half chrd primitive).

This would help building many rounded shapes more and more common in LEGO parts. They would mostly be useful in 48 version to have enough smoothness.

What do you think? how should we name these primitives?

Philo

Re: New primitives?
   In addition to the unit capped cylinder I suggested here http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dat/parts/?n=6310 I’d also like to see some truncated disc and ndis primitives, like the red ones shown below (the truncated disc can also be seen as a half chrd primitive).

This would help building many rounded shapes more and more common in LEGO parts. They would mostly be useful in 48 version to have enough smoothness.

What do you think? how should we name these primitives?

First of all, I like the idea of a unit capped cylinder. The stud could then be changed to a reference to the new primitive. We could use x-ycylc as the filenames and call the primitive Cylinder Capped. This would be consistent with the existing 1-4cyls (Cylinder Sloped) primitive.

As for the truncated disc and ndis primitives names, I would recommend x-ytdisc and x-ytndisc. The tndisc primitives would then not be 8.3 compatible, so that’s only OK if the parts library is now allowed to go by the 1.0 version of the LDraw file format spec. Additionally, a 1-16tdisc primitive would also not be 8.3 compatible. Having said that, what’s the point of having long filenames explicitly permitted in the spec if we’re not going to allow them in the library?

(Since I don’t author parts, I won’t comment on their usefulness. I’ll take your word for it that they will be useful.)

--Travis

Re: New primitives?
   First of all, I like the idea of a unit capped cylinder. The stud could then be changed to a reference to the new primitive. We could use x-ycylc as the filenames and call the primitive Cylinder Capped. This would be consistent with the existing 1-4cyls (Cylinder Sloped) primitive.

OK, so I’ll make this primitive, but which way should it face? Should it face up, like the stud primitive, or should it face down, like the box primitives?

--Travis

Re: New primitives?
   OK, so I’ll make this primitive, but which way should it face? Should it face up, like the stud primitive, or should it face down, like the box primitives?

Oh, and should the cap be at Y=0, or should the base be at Y=0? (For reference, with the stud primitive, the base is at Y=0.)

--Travis

Re: New primitives?
   OK, so I’ll make this primitive, but which way should it face? Should it face up, like the stud primitive, or should it face down, like the box primitives?

Oh, and should the cap be at Y=0, or should the base be at Y=0? (For reference, with the stud primitive, the base is at Y=0.)

--Travis

I would use the cylinder as model, with the cap at Y=0 on top and an edge at bottom.

But I somehow agree with Steve Bliss that it may be overkill if we decline capped cylinder in all angles...

Philo

Re: New primitives?