 CAD / 13652
Re: Blender import problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2006 08:01:16 GMT

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 02:58:59 GMT
"Brian Durney" <durneybr@uvsc.edu> wrote:

I posted the LDraw file, s Blender file, and a screen shot at
http://zephyr.uvsc.edu/~brian/LBlend/index.html

Got it. The issues are with Blender's data model, and for once of the
type showed more clearly in the Oops view than the Outliner. You have
the same ipo associated with every piece in your minifig.

Look in the Outliner view. Each DAT has a squiggly arrow next to it,
meaning it has an associated ipo. In the Ipo view header, the number
button next to the name (IP:step1) reads 12, meaning 12 objects share
this ipo. You probably caused this by inserting the first key while all
objects were selected, causing them to have a common ipo.

One way to clean it up is to select each object in turn and hit the X
next to the ipo user count to disconnect the ipo from that object.
However, the ipo has already destroyed the original orientation of all
the objects, so you'll want to reimport your minifig and carefully
animate only the hat. Do this by selecting the hat, and clicking the
user count in the ipo view to make it a single user ipo before
inserting keys.

Also, rotating by 180 degrees using ikey won't do what you want in most
cases. It only finds *a* Euler interpolation that matches the key
orientations, not the one you used, so the axis will be fairly random.
Bones don't have the problem the same way, as they can use quaternion
interpolation. Try either editing the ipo curve manually or rotating in
steps of no more than 90 degrees.

I believe I have an idea what's causing this common ipo to be present.
The STEP support in my script works by inserting Layer ipo keys; since
all your objects are in the same (indeed only) step, they were all
given a common ipo. This feature should probably be more clearly
indicated and not activate in the case of no STEP commands.

--
PGP fingerprint = 9242 DC15 2502 FEAB E15F  84C6 D538 EC09 5380 5746