 CAD / 13648
Re: Blender import problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2006 14:00:07 GMT

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 22:08:02 GMT
"Brian Durney" <durneybr@uvsc.edu> wrote:

I am using the Yann import scripts to import LDraw models into
Blender.  I would like to be able to animate LDraw models, especially
minifigs, with Blender animation tools and scripts.  I had to modify
the color import script because of changes in ldconfig.ldr, but
otherwise the import script seemed to work quite well.

Nice to hear it's used. That makes about three users. Would you mind
posting the changes? I never polished the scripts much, and the
material support was fairly confused when I tested it last. In
particular importing stuff several times messed up.

Then I tried to animate the figure using Blender's IPOs.  I made a
key frame (for rotation), went to a new frame, rotated the figure's
arm, and then made another key frame.  However, when I move between
frames instead of seeing the arm rotate the way it's supposed to, I
see all of the parts in the minifig change.  The rotation with the
IPO does not look anything like the rotation that I do with the
normal Blender UI, and it messes up the model.

A rotation ipo will only affect the rotation of the object, which is
around its "center". Hit Ctrl+Period to activate rotation about
individual object centers and the UI rotate command will match more
closely. The center is visible in Blender as a yellow or pink dot.

I tried simple animations with non-LDraw models to make sure I was
using the key frames correctly and was able to make animations that
worked the way I expected them too.  I used various combinations of
IPOs on parent and child objects with no problem.

I suspect that the problem I am having with the imported models is
due to the way the flatten and flattenParts functions work, but so
far have not been able to verify that.

They should do an OK job as long as your assemblies only refer to
parts, and don't contain geometry of their own. Anything that gets
flattened will become one object in Blender.

Can anyone give me help with this problem?  I can post files and
screen shots if they would be helpful.  I have tried this with
Blender 2.36 on OS X and Blender 2.37 on Windows Media Center with
similar results. Thanks,
Brian Durney

Files would definitely be interesting.

--
PGP fingerprint = 9242 DC15 2502 FEAB E15F  84C6 D538 EC09 5380 5746