 CAD / 13646
Subject:
Blender import problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 22:08:02 GMT

I am using the Yann import scripts to import LDraw models into Blender.  I would
like to be able to animate LDraw models, especially minifigs, with Blender
animation tools and scripts.  I had to modify the color import script because of
changes in ldconfig.ldr, but otherwise the import script seemed to work quite
well.

Then I tried to animate the figure using Blender's IPOs.  I made a key frame
(for rotation), went to a new frame, rotated the figure's arm, and then made
another key frame.  However, when I move between frames instead of seeing the
arm rotate the way it's supposed to, I see all of the parts in the minifig
change.  The rotation with the IPO does not look anything like the rotation that
I do with the normal Blender UI, and it messes up the model.

I tried simple animations with non-LDraw models to make sure I was using the key
frames correctly and was able to make animations that worked the way I expected
them too.  I used various combinations of IPOs on parent and child objects with
no problem.

I suspect that the problem I am having with the imported models is due to the
way the flatten and flattenParts functions work, but so far have not been able
to verify that.

Can anyone give me help with this problem?  I can post files and screen shots if
they would be helpful.  I have tried this with Blender 2.36 on OS X and Blender
2.37 on Windows Media Center with similar results.
Thanks,
Brian Durney

Re: Blender import problem
[...]

Hm, not seeing my original reply appearing.. so I'll try again.
I'd be more suspicious of a part origin problem. I highly recommend a run
through of Greybeards Tutorials
http://www.ibiblio.org/bvidtute/
Very well done video tutorials, and using them I've done some relatively complex
animations.

Re: Blender import problem
I am using the Yann import scripts to import LDraw models into
Blender.  I would like to be able to animate LDraw models, especially
minifigs, with Blender animation tools and scripts.  I had to modify
the color import script because of changes in ldconfig.ldr, but
otherwise the import script seemed to work quite well.

Nice to hear it's used. That makes about three users. Would you mind
posting the changes? I never polished the scripts much, and the
material support was fairly confused when I tested it last. In
particular importing stuff several times messed up.

Then I tried to animate the figure using Blender's IPOs.  I made a
key frame (for rotation), went to a new frame, rotated the figure's
arm, and then made another key frame.  However, when I move between
frames instead of seeing the arm rotate the way it's supposed to, I
see all of the parts in the minifig change.  The rotation with the
IPO does not look anything like the rotation that I do with the
normal Blender UI, and it messes up the model.

A rotation ipo will only affect the rotation of the object, which is
around its "center". Hit Ctrl+Period to activate rotation about
individual object centers and the UI rotate command will match more
closely. The center is visible in Blender as a yellow or pink dot.

I tried simple animations with non-LDraw models to make sure I was
using the key frames correctly and was able to make animations that
worked the way I expected them too.  I used various combinations of
IPOs on parent and child objects with no problem.

I suspect that the problem I am having with the imported models is
due to the way the flatten and flattenParts functions work, but so
far have not been able to verify that.

They should do an OK job as long as your assemblies only refer to
parts, and don't contain geometry of their own. Anything that gets
flattened will become one object in Blender.

Can anyone give me help with this problem?  I can post files and
screen shots if they would be helpful.  I have tried this with
Blender 2.36 on OS X and Blender 2.37 on Windows Media Center with
similar results. Thanks,
Brian Durney

Files would definitely be interesting.

--
PGP fingerprint = 9242 DC15 2502 FEAB E15F  84C6 D538 EC09 5380 5746

Re: Blender import problem
[...]

This sounds like a center-point / parent problem. I recommend to clear parent
relationship for your minifig components (keeping the transform). After import,
all bricks are a child of the surrounding .ldr file, which is a empty object at
(0,0,0). Use the "outliner" window (View->Outliner) to visualize the parent
relationship for all scenes, objects, materials etc. Afterwards, you can regroup
the objects with the body of the mifi as your parent. This should resolve the
rotation weirdness:)

I have used NLAnimation for my mifis by attaching an armature (8 bones
[Head,Body,Lleg,RLeg,LArm,RArm,Lhand,Rhand) to a joined mifi-mesh. The vertices
of the mesh where grouped (Head,Body,..) use the same names for the vertex
groups and the bones (this enables automatic matching from bones to
vertex-groups). I have put a sample blender file on
http://homepage.mac.com/carstenm
(a single mifi walking circles while moving its head and one arm) not very
fancy.

Carsten

PS:
http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Manual
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

Re: Blender import problem
I am using the Yann import scripts to import LDraw models into
Blender.  I would like to be able to animate LDraw models, especially
minifigs, with Blender animation tools and scripts.  I had to modify
the color import script because of changes in ldconfig.ldr, but
otherwise the import script seemed to work quite well. • Hmmm. i was lazy, i used an old color-config file :)

Nice to hear it's used. That makes about three users. Would you mind
posting the changes? I never polished the scripts much, and the
material support was fairly confused when I tested it last. In
particular importing stuff several times messed up.

MeTo:) Add me to the list. Therefor we are 4 and counting ;)

I've made some minor changes to the color importer and the dat importer.
The pathes to the ldraw library and to the color config file are configurable
with a little UI (scripts->system...).

And the existence of color definitions is checked on import. They are loaded on
demand and i can't forget to load them in front :)

Maybe we should merge the changes from Brian and myself if you are interested.

Carsten

Re: Blender import problem
[...]

Thanks for the suggestions that were posted.  I tried clearing the parents but
still see the same problem.  For one import I commented out the line in the
import script that links an object to its parent, but I still got the same
results.  I also tried control-period, but couldn't tell any difference when I
rotated an object.  There could be some problem with the object centers, but I
couldn't figure out how to tell for sure or how to fix it.

I posted the LDraw file, s Blender file, and a screen shot at
http://zephyr.uvsc.edu/~brian/LBlend/index.html

I also posted my revised version of Yann's color import script there.

Please let me know if you have other suggestions.
Thanks,
Brian Durney

Re: Blender import problem