 CAD / 10019
  Getting complete set of Ldraw parts images

I'm toying with the idea of writing an application that would print out labels for sorted parts storage (similar in concept to the kind Jeff Boen created, see (URL) and need images of the entire Ldraw catalog. (yeah, like I've got that kind of spare (...) (21 years ago, 15-May-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Getting complete set of Ldraw parts images

(...) <snip> Like something that will take a supplied part .DAT file and make a label of specified diminsions? This would be insanely useful for me. I actually toyed with the idea myself. -Orion (21 years ago, 15-May-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Getting complete set of Ldraw parts images

(...) That's pretty trivial to do with LDGLite and NetPBM/PBMplus. ldraw_file=some_lego_model.mpd rendering=`ldglite -l3 -ms -q -s1 -w1 ${ldraw_file} \ | grep '^Write BMP8' | tail -1 | cut -d' ' -f3-` bmptoppm ${rendering} \ | pnmscale -width 120 \ (...) (21 years ago, 16-May-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Getting complete set of Ldraw parts images

(...) More like something that would print out the part description and a picture of it, so I can see which drawer has what parts in it. James (21 years ago, 16-May-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Getting complete set of Ldraw parts images

(...) Arrgh, I just re-read your post, and realized I misread it. Yes, I'd probably make it so that label dimensions would be flexible (hadn't really thought that far ahead...) James (21 years ago, 16-May-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Getting complete set of Ldraw parts images

Jacob I haven't tried LDGLite and NetPBM - could it be made to run through the entire LDraw parts directory and generate an image for each part? Thanks, James (...) (21 years ago, 16-May-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Getting complete set of Ldraw parts images

(...) Hmm, this sounds really attractive. And you're able to run this under Unix? (...) I think I'd find that useful. I'm looking for ways to relieve some of the burden on Steve with respect to Partsref images. (...) You could start by posting it (...) (21 years ago, 16-May-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Getting complete set of Ldraw parts images

(...) Yes, and you should be able to run it all as a background process without even opening a window. See here for some of the details on how to get that up and running. (URL) really love to see some independent verification of the completely (...) (21 years ago, 16-May-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Getting complete set of Ldraw parts images

(...) Certainly. That's the whole reason for using operating systems with good command interpreters. Play well, Jacob (21 years ago, 16-May-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Getting complete set of Ldraw parts images

(...) To the extent that you are willing to call Linux Unix, yes. Haven't tried it on other Unix'es yet. (...) You can grab it here: (URL) it is only with minimal error handling and only tested by me, so there are no guarantee that it will work for (...) (21 years ago, 16-May-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Getting complete set of Ldraw parts images

(...) It could be made slightly more headless with some use of `make -C src/`, but it didn't quite work for me anyway. :-( (...) You mean make a symlink to "~sparre/bin/"? I will grep my scripts for calls to LDGLite and other known LDraw related (...) (21 years ago, 16-May-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Getting complete set of Ldraw parts images

(...) Not really... check the robots.txt file... All the parts images together in all the colors and with opaque and transparent backgrounds take up 1 GB of disk space. But I'd be happy to make you a .zip or .tar.gz if you tell me what color(s) you (...) (21 years ago, 16-May-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Getting complete set of Ldraw parts images

(...) I'm interested in your method but I'm not all that well versed in the code you put up. I assume your not using MS OS to do this. Can you explain or point me somewhere I can find out about what you suggested. -Orion (21 years ago, 16-May-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Getting complete set of Ldraw parts images

(...) No. But since you supposedly can make Microsoft's operating systems POSIX compliant, it can possibly also be made to work there. > Can you explain or point me somewhere I can > find out about what you suggested. I think the free POSIX support (...) (21 years ago, 19-May-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Getting complete set of Ldraw parts images

(...) I was wrong. According to a more reliable source "mingw" is just a port of the GNU Compiler Collection. What you want is "cygwin". Play well, Jacob -- Sal Colibri (from Roger Leloup's "Yoko Tsuno"): (URL) (21 years ago, 19-May-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Getting complete set of Ldraw parts images

(...) Actually Microsoft provides a "POSIX" subsystem for NT, but it's useless. However you can get just about all the nice unix utilities these days from places like this. (URL) you can compile a great deal of unix source code yourself with this (...) (21 years ago, 19-May-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Getting complete set of Ldraw parts images

(...) used in his scripts to process the image files. (URL) the sourceforge download pages seem to be offline at the moment, so you'll have to wait a bit to get some of this stuff. Don (21 years ago, 19-May-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Getting complete set of Ldraw parts images

In lugnet.cad, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes: <snip> (...) Thank for the info. I finally gave in and am installing Linux on one of my spare machines. -Orion (21 years ago, 19-May-03, to lugnet.cad)