 CAD / 10076
Re: Getting complete set of Ldraw parts images
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2003 14:47:34 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
Orion Pobursky wrote:

I'm interested in your method but I'm not all that well versed in the code
you put up.  I assume your not using MS OS to do this.

No.  But since you supposedly can make Microsoft's operating systems
POSIX compliant, it can possibly also be made to work there.

Can you explain or point me somewhere I can
find out about what you suggested.

I think the free POSIX support for Microsofts operating systems is
called "mingw", but I don't know for sure.  Alternatively you could
install FreeBSD or Linux in some spare space on your disk.  Or
experiment with Knoppix (a Linux system running directly off a cd-rom
without needing to install anything on your disk).

Actually Microsoft provides a "POSIX" subsystem for NT, but it's
useless.  However you can get just about all the nice unix utilities
these days from places like this.

  http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

And you can compile a great deal of unix source code yourself with
this Windows version of the gcc compiler.

  http://www.mingw.org/

But if you're unfamiliar with the unix OS philosophy, or the tools,
you probably should grab a copy of that book Jacob mentioned.  And
you may be better off trying it out with a Knoppix CD before
attempting to use it on Windows.

Enjoy,

Don