 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 792
    MOC: WWII Japanese Heavy Cruiser "Takao" —Lindsay Frederick Braun
    Hi, everyone. Being lonely in South Africa without my LEGO has finally provided me the time to *finally* publish the site for my heavy cruiser _Takao_, which debuted at Brickfest in July 2002. For those who haven't seen it before (or for those who (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jan-03, to lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.boats, lugnet.build, lugnet.build.military, lugnet.pirates) !!

        Re: MOC: WWII Japanese Heavy Cruiser "Takao" —Soren Roberts
     Wow. I think the keyboard is going to short out from all the drool. Mr. Braun, you ROCK. (21 years ago, 26-Jan-03, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.build.military, lugnet.boats)

        Re: MOC: WWII Japanese Heavy Cruiser "Takao" —Joe Meno
     (...) <snip> (...) Nice setup on the webpage. Just don't browse on a dialup connection:) And as for the ship, I saw it at Brickfest and was amazed watching it being constructed and seeing it completed. There are so many details that were really (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jan-03, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.build.military, lugnet.boats)

         Re: MOC: WWII Japanese Heavy Cruiser "Takao" —Lindsay Frederick Braun
     (...) Yeah, I've been sort of worried about that--I may have to tweak the pages to see if I can't get the "default background" to be something other than white. Dialup takes too long to load that pattern .jpg for the background, so you can't read (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jan-03, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.build.military, lugnet.boats)

        Re: MOC: WWII Japanese Heavy Cruiser "Takao" —Thomas Avery
     (...) I'm glad I got to see this person at BF 2002. I really enjoyed it. I remember pouring over the 2001 'fest pictures of FdG, and really wishing I had been there. Also, seeing you arrive with this large dark gray monster packed in your Geo was (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jan-03, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.build.military, lugnet.boats)

         Re: MOC: WWII Japanese Heavy Cruiser "Takao" —Lindsay Frederick Braun
      Dear Mr. Intercontinental Ballistic Pedestal Crane: :) Thanks for the comments and for helping on the logistical end that Thursday; I felt sure I was trying everyone's patience with that thing taking up most of my car and asking you to hold on to (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jan-03, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.build.military, lugnet.boats)

         Re: MOC: WWII Japanese Heavy Cruiser "Takao" —Thomas Avery
     (...) Who? Me? ;-) (...) Yep, I did. Appreciate it! (...) Sorry to hear about this year. Here's to 2004- it's a long way off, but lookin' forward to it! TJ (21 years ago, 27-Jan-03, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.build.military, lugnet.boats)

        Re: MOC: WWII Japanese Heavy Cruiser "Takao" —Bruce Schlickbernd
     One thing that I would like to see is a comparison page so that viewers could see the progression of your construction techniques from the Gloire to the HMS Queen to the Frederick der Grosse to the Takao. I've always been able to recognize the ships (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jan-03, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.build.military, lugnet.boats)

         Re: MOC: WWII Japanese Heavy Cruiser "Takao" —Lindsay Frederick Braun
     (...) Thanks for the kind comments, Bruce; your interest in the vagaries of nauticality (pyratical and others) has been part of the ongoing inspiration for doing these things. Regarding a comparison page: On the FdG page there's a note that I'm (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jan-03, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.build.military, lugnet.boats)

        Re: MOC: WWII Japanese Heavy Cruiser "Takao" —Tommy Rainwater
     (...) Wow!!!! It's great to see the whole process and creation-cycle on your site! I loved seeing the real thing back last summer at BrickFest, but reading about the great lengths you went to in constructing that masterpiece was very enjoyable! I (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jan-03, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.build.military, lugnet.boats)

         Re: MOC: WWII Japanese Heavy Cruiser "Takao" —Lindsay Frederick Braun
     (...) Phew! That's a relief. I was afraid I'd just prattled on ceaselessly. :) I'm sorry the picture of yours that I liked so much and included was the last one on the Expo page, but those pictures had to go down there to encourage everyone to stick (...) (21 years ago, 29-Jan-03, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.build.military, lugnet.boats)

        Re: MOC: WWII Japanese Heavy Cruiser "Takao" —Mattias Martensson
     Once more, Congratulations LFB!! Your Takao is a most impressing model what more can you say. The detailed description of the planning and the construction on the new site is most welcome. It is amazing to look at all the onboard fittings. The guns, (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jan-03, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.build.military, lugnet.boats)

         Re: MOC: WWII Japanese Heavy Cruiser "Takao" —Lindsay Frederick Braun
      Mattias- Thanks so much for the feedback--I think selective compression plus the minifig scale meant that some details (for example, using triple TT instead of the real ship's quads) were in fact sacrificed. But I'm sure it would be very possible (...) (21 years ago, 29-Jan-03, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.build.military, lugnet.boats)

        Re: MOC: WWII Japanese Heavy Cruiser "Takao" —Richie Dulin
     (...) Truly magnificent, Lindsay. The LEGO scaling is amazing, the attention to detail superb. (One of my favourite details are your spoked wheel drums. I've already built a few - it's always good to find new uses for common (and seldom used parts). (...) (21 years ago, 28-Jan-03, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.build.military, lugnet.boats)

         Re: MOC: WWII Japanese Heavy Cruiser "Takao" —Lindsay Frederick Braun
      Richie- Thanks for the comments. I'm just waiting for the next incarnation of the Famous Mister Snottler to appear--they've been getting to be quite amazing, and given the extreme flare of the bows on those types of warships I'm looking forward to (...) (21 years ago, 29-Jan-03, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.build.military, lugnet.boats)

        Re: MOC: WWII Japanese Heavy Cruiser "Takao" —Daniel Siskind
     (...) Apologies for the delayed feedback - I don't have time to peruse Lugnet as much as I would like. Anyway... congrats on the nice MOC. The superstructure seems a little more boxy than it should, but I love the flared effect on the bow. I was a (...) (21 years ago, 10-Feb-03, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.build.military, lugnet.boats)

        Re: MOC: WWII Japanese Heavy Cruiser "Takao" —Gil Shaw
     This is too big to even comment on effectively. I could spend hours pouring ove the details of the deck and the functionality of the midship compartments alone (and probably will). Not to mention the historical detail...right down to the (...) (21 years ago, 21-Feb-03, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.build.military, lugnet.boats)

        Re: MOC: WWII Japanese Heavy Cruiser "Takao" —Andreas Engel
   Wow! A very impressive model with a lot of amazing details. Unfortunately a lot of the pictures in the "exposition" section appear to be broken or at least halfway-broken, although the thumbnails look ok. For example 3-takao-todd-02.jpg (...) (21 years ago, 6-Mar-03, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.build.military, lugnet.boats)