 Adventurers / 1890
Re: Racing and .dat Files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.adventurers
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2004 22:50:08 GMT

In lugnet.adventurers, Don Cox wrote:
   Christian, I have ordered parts to make your racers, but if you could send me the MLCad .dat files, it would help in making up order lists.
This would probably to too confusing as I make my .dat files LDraw compatible.

   I want to do a series of spreadsheets with the parts of each car, then do a master spreadsheet listing the parts and colors I need so when I go shopping, I can get the parts I need depending on whats available per store.
I am currently working on making part list to go on my site. Anyone you want in particular. Then I will make those first.

   I am planning out a track for the race using the standard straight and curved road plates. Then all I need to do is put in buildings, trees, etc. Since the races were usually run on a 2-track raceway, this should be ok.
Exactly. Seems I will be beaten at making a real track. For our Klodsfest I was primarily focusing on buildings and only had a simple oval without any buildings or plants. You are welcome off course!

   Not being in on the makeup of the real cars, am I correct that in this time frame, most cars only had 3 gears? In the boardgame, Formula De, cars are about 1/2” in length and different numbered dice are used to represent the 6 gears and depending on what speed you are going is which dice is thrown to see how far the car moves.
I am not sure about the number of gears in special race cars. But normal cars usually only had 3 or maybe only 2 gears! The reason being that it was very cumbersome to change gears. One Rolls-Royce model (cannot remember which one right now) actually started with 4 gears, which after about a year was changed to 3 on popular demand!

   I would like to work something out for your period cars and each road plate would be marked for a center so that there would be 2 movement spaces per baseplate and in actuallity, 4 cars could be on each paseplate. Of course most cars were spaced out.
Wauw. You are really taking this to a higher level.

   I need to work on charts for break downs, tire wearing out and changing, etc. Any thoughts or ideas? -- Don
At home we have a board from Germany called Missisippi Queen. It was game of the year in Germany in 1997. As far as I know Germans are crazy about boardgames. Any way some of the rules might serve as an inspiration. I am thinking about the changing up and down in gears. It has to be modified somehow:
  • Tire wear and changing might be the key point. You can go faster on new tires, but changing them takes time (roll a dice to see how long?). And you have to slow down before entering the pit.
  • Going faster might increase the probability of engine failure.
  • The inner lane might only have one space in the curves? But perhaps you can go faster in the outer lane then?
  • Does it cost movement points to change lane?
  • What about collisions? Does it cost movement points? Does the cars get damaged?
  • Oil spills and perhaps other hazards could appear on the track
That was just about what I could come up with right now. It’s certainly a good idea to work on.

Christian