 Adventurers / 1903
Re: Racing and .dat Files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.adventurers
Date:
Fri, 21 May 2004 03:44:21 GMT

In lugnet.adventurers, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.adventurers, Christian Lindblad Rasmussen wrote:

  • Going faster might increase the probability of engine failure.

In multiple lap races, engine wear and overheating will increace the possibility of engine failure.

  • The inner lane might only have one space in the curves? But perhaps you can go faster in the outer lane then?

Yes, the inner lane at the curve should be one movement space, and the outer lane 2 movement spaces. Thus a total of 3 racers could be on a Curved section and a total of 4 racers on a Straight section, although during the race, the racers will mostly be spaced out.

   Going strictly by physics, you should be able to go faster in the inner lane (which would be accurately represented by having less spaces), but you’ll have greater control in the outer lane because you’re turning in a larger radius (you could apply some sort of control penalty that could result in wiping out).

Racers will need to gear down, that is reduce speed at the corners to prevent spinouts and/or tire wear.

   Real racecar drivers actually cheat this system by turning the widest radius possible while keeping the total distance traveled to a minimum, which is why they swing wide to the outside of the straight sections and cut across to the inside at the apex of a curve.

We will need to assign gear speeds to each racer, whether they be 2 speed, 3 speed or 4 speed. A die roll would be assigned to each speed, perhaps a 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, or 20 sided die. And depending upon the gear level and speed of the racer, which one would be used. I play the boardgame Formula De and I think we can use a modified version.

-- Don