 Administrative / Terms of Use / 96
Re: Group Charters
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 22:19:27 GMT

In lugnet.admin.terms, Susan Hoover writes:

If you start making different rules for different groups that look similar
(e.g. .loc.us different from .loc.ca), then it will be harder for users to
follow the rules.

In practice - the unofficial rule-change in .loc.uk allowing some .market posts
through concensous, has been quite easy to remember for me - essentially
because I've been a part of that group. If you have nothing to do with a
locality, then chances are you won't need, or think about posting about a sale
there? But yeah - it would help if the group rules were easily accessible.

Plus, to complicate matters further, there's the issue of cross-
posting: a sale in Detroit may end up being okay to post in .loc.ca but
not in .loc.us.mi, resulting in either posting to the wrong group
(.loc.ca, which allows it) or posting to a group that doesn't welcome
market posts (.loc.us.mi, which is more appropriate geographically).

I would assume that local groups such as .loc.ca would only allow sale posts
relevant to Canada, such as Zellers 20% sales.. thus a Detroit sale wouldn't be
welcome in .loc.ca (depending on what they decided). Actually, most local
groups that I've seen do inform each other of local sales anyway :) I think
it's more the private-sale/auction posts that need thought - eg if I wanted to
auction off some old 70s sets, but for sentimental reasons I wanted keep them
in the UK; that would be disallowed according to the T&C, but possibly
acceptible to the inhabitants of .loc.uk?

Actually, I'm not sure if allowing .loc hierarchies to allow/disallow certain
types of .market posts will effect .loc.us that much - most of the market.*
traffic is probably American anyway :) So maybe it's not suprising that most of
the noise is coming from non-US fans who want the option of seeing some market
posts specific for their locality - just as the Americans do! :D

Richard