 Administrative / Terms of Use / 86
85  |  87
Subject:
Group Charters (was:Re: Fabuland Auction Update 4)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 23:32:15 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Mark Harrison writes:
As promised here is the latest status of my lastest auction, Fabuland.
The only thing that I should mention here is that all bids are in US
dollars.
[...auction update/spam snipped...]

Mark,
When you signed up, one of the things you agreed to is that you would not
post auction announcements/updates/flogs/spam in groups which do not
explicitly welcome auctions in their charters.  As you are well aware, only
lugnet.market.auction currently welcomes auctions here.  Discussion groups
are for discussions and not for auction spam.

I'm sorry that you disagree with the principle of market/non-market separation
and that you feel that such separation is for "compartmentalized dorks" but it
is important that you realize that just because you disagree with something
doesn't make it morally right for you to breach an agreement you have made.

Since your continued use of the groups is contingent upon your keeping your
word (i.e., abiding by LUGNET's Terms of Use Agreement), and since you've
made it conspicuous not only that you do not choose to respect the agreement
you've made but that you choose to actively disrespect it, you leave neither
room for sympathy nor options at this point besides turning off your posting
privileges (to non-market and non-admin groups).

Todd,

I've been musing over this for a while, and this latest incident is a perfect
opportunity to raise it with you, and the Lugnet community.

Whilst no-one is arguing that Mark has and continues to breach the Lugnet
Terms and Conditions, I was wondering if there could be a case here for
interpretation of the various group charters. I'm talking particularly for the
different .loc groups.

Do you see a possibility for the members of the various groups to take on
"ownership" of the Terms and Conditions for their groups, and subsequently
monitoring (and, dare I say it, policing) them? For example, say that we in
the .loc.au group didn't actually mind Mark posting his Fabuland auction
information in this group (with an appropriate x-post to .market), can we
petition for the T&C's to be altered to allow this?

I bring this up as I generally don't monitor the .market group since most of
the sales are US or European based. But a sale/auction in Australia would
interest me greatly, and what better place to advertise a sale/auction in
Australia than in the .loc.au group? There could also be other sections of the
T&C's that we may like to enhance/modify/remove, I'm just using the auction
one as an example as it is the most frequently "abused".

I don't want you to think that we are trying to take away ultimate control of
Lugnet from you, but a bit of flexibility in the .loc groups I feel would be
appropriate, as they are designed specifically for "us". In .loc.au we get the
odd international visitor, but I see them as "a visitor" to our "country" (and
welcome ones at that, don't get me wrong). The other groups are a different
story as they are not physical location-specific, although there may be room
for some adaptation if everyone within the group was in accord.

Just some thoughts I think are worthy of a discussion.

Pete Callaway