 Administrative / Terms of Use / 91
Re: Group Charters (was:Re: Fabuland Auction Update 4)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 14:03:02 GMT

In lugnet.admin.terms, Peter Callaway writes:

If we had a choice, I would vote for allowing the charter for the .loc.au
group to include Australian .market related posts.

I agree - while it wouldn't make sense for a group like .loc.us, for the
smaller communities, where there is a _sense_of_community_, .market related
posts are more welcome as you are most probably dealing with a friend. I've
sent space parts to a friend in .loc.uk who I met via LUGNET - I wouldn't have
bothered scouring the .market groups for his post, so I wouldn't have seen it
if it wasn't in .loc.uk - and I was really happy to help him out!

I understand the difficulty with one person trying to keep track of multiple
groups, and what is allowed in which group and not in another etc. But surely
the beauty of an international fan-created website is that one person doesn't
*have* to? There is a history of .loc.uk policing itself and drawing up its own
rules with regard to .market type posts, probably other groups have too, but I
only regularly monitor .loc.uk :)

If it's to prevent newbies to a .loc.* group getting flooded by .market type
posts then I don't think that would happen anyway - if there is community
enough to draw up their own sub-charter allowing certain .market type posts,
then would they let their own community drown in that manner?

It is tricky allowing localities a certain amount of responsibility for
themselves, but I believe that it is the best way to achieve a healthy balance
between sterile correctness (all .market posts in .market) and user needs, from
an interface to a social perspective.

Richard