 Administrative / Terms of Use / 89
Re: Group Charters (was:Re: Fabuland Auction Update 4)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 09:07:09 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.terms, Frank Filz writes:
I understand both Todd and Peter's thoughts, and agree with both... How
about creating lugnet.market.loc.xyz groups if a sufficient number of people
from that area are interested in a more targeted group. These groups would
welcome all market posts related to the appropriate areas. As part of the
charter, it would specify that the ONLY market posts posted there would be
for auctions, sales, etc. where the goods are located in that area. It might
also be reasonable to create lugnet.market.org.xyz groups if a particular
organization expected enough organization related market traffic to justify
a separate group.

A valid suggestion. My only problem with it (and this is my personal view) is
that it is creating *another* group which requires monitoring. I'm actually
looking at ways to *reduce* the number of groups (possibly because I'm lazy
and can't be bothered checking them all, but that's just me).

Currently there are 31 subgroups under and including the .loc.au group. That's
more than (I think) the known number of regular users in the .loc.au group!
Many of them haven't been used since their introduction more than 18 months
ago. Most of us in .loc.au are happy just posting to the main .au group, and
generally don't bother with the subgroups. We may at times drop down to the
state groups, but rarely to the regional groups (like .syd).

My current way of thinking is, if I have something to sell andd I want to sell
it locally, post it in .loc.au. It makes sense to me. Creating a
.market.loc.au group, whilst keeping everything "neat", is just another group
to monitor. Whilst I'm not defending Mark's actions on a fundamental level
(the current T&C's were abused, no question), the train of thought with his
posts were to me logical. He was talking about his collection in .loc.au and
happened to mention the Fabuland auction, so his next post to the .loc.au
group was the Fabuland auction details. OK, he can always point us to the
auction in .market (or .market.loc.au iif it existed) with a post in the
.loc.au group, but technically wouldn't that constitute a breach of the T&C's?
How else are we going to know about it if we don't monitor the .market group
regularly?

If we had a choice, I would vote for allowing the charter for the .loc.au
group to include Australian .market related posts.

Pete Callaway