 Administrative / Terms of Use / 94
Re: Group Charters
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 21:08:48 GMT

In lugnet.admin.terms, Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.admin.terms, Richard Franks writes:
[...]
It is tricky allowing localities a certain amount of
responsibility for themselves, but I believe that it is the best
way to achieve a healthy balance between sterile correctness (all
.market posts in .market) and user needs, from an interface to a
social perspective.

Wow, you nailed it!  That's the feeling I'm beginning to get after
reading recent messages from PeterC, PaulB, MarkH, ScottA, and
others.

I thought your first message, which I will paraphrase as "no .market
type posts at all in .loc (and other) groups", while at first sounds
quite reasonable in an A-R kind of way, completely falls apart when you
consider .market.shopping.  Many times, posts in .shopping would be
better suited for a .loc group (or .loc.foo.market or .market.loc.foo).
For instance, where I live there are no CVS, Zany Brainy, or Shopko
stores, so sales there don't interest me.  The exceptions are the truly
worldwide shopping experiences, particularly those online (if they ship
globally).

Opinions on localized netiquette documents?  If your loc group had a
document that you could point to on the lugnet website, which would
be editable by someone you chose from your group, and market traffic
were allowed in your loc group by default (that is, by the main
T&C), would that document be sufficient for your group in
prohibiting market traffic if you wanted it that way?  This would be
a little bit more like Usenet where a group consensus is reached on
things and then put into a FAQ which helps govern the group.

I haven't thought deeply about this, but one nice thing about having a
single rule (i.e. "no .market posts in non-.market groups") is that
it's easier for lazy users to follow.  If you start making different
rules for different groups that look similar (e.g. .loc.us different
from .loc.ca), then it will be harder for users to follow the rules.
Plus, to complicate matters further, there's the issue of cross-
posting: a sale in Detroit may end up being okay to post in .loc.ca but
not in .loc.us.mi, resulting in either posting to the wrong group
(.loc.ca, which allows it) or posting to a group that doesn't welcome
market posts (.loc.us.mi, which is more appropriate geographically).

Just something to think about...

--
Susan Hoover
Houston, TX