 Administrative / Terms of Use / 222
221  |  223
Subject:
straying off-topic & marmites (was: Re: the best laid plans of mice and men)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 20:22:26 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Joslin writes:
Instead of getting all bent out of shape when someone points out that you're
posting in the wrong place, and crying about the "LUGNET POLICE", and trying
to make as though people are being overly anal-retentive because they point
it out,

I don't think Scott named anyone in particular in connection with that label.
He may even have been referring to a brief mail that I sent him.

you'd be better off acknowledging (silently, to yourself, in your head) that
you may have broken the ToS that you agreed to when you signed up for
posting privs to Lugnet, that those ToS are in place for a good reason, and
that someone was annoyed enough by your off-topic post to actually say
something about it, and letting it go at that.

I think this is best dropped.

I don't think Scott broke any of the T&C, either.  The closest thing would be
#12 in the Discussion Group T&C, which says not to "stray hopelessly off-topic
without moving the discussion to a more appropriate location."  It goes on to
say, "There is a fair amount of leeway here, since it is natural for
discussions to drift, and moving a discussion can sometimes be inconvenient
or difficult.  If in doubt, appeal to common sense."

Common sense here would say that off-topic noise in the .lego.direct group
certainly isn't helpful to Brad or anyone else reading at LEGO.  But it's not
necessarily a T&C violation -- it's just rude.  Now, if the discussion had
wandered this far off-topic as it is now without having been moved out of the
.lego.direct group, then that would probably be a T&C issue, but probably not
against anyone in particular.

And actually, the first person who posted off-topic in the .lego.direct group
w.r.t. that thread was Jude Beaudin, not Scott:

   http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=732

Note that Scott's initial message containing the reference to marmite was
still largely on-topic (albeit gruff) to LD issues.

Ideally, Jude would've set followups elsewhere on his reply (or even deleted
.lego.direct from the ng list when he posted his question), so that Scott's
response might not have gone into the .lego.direct group so easily.  And as
Scott already explained, he posted his reply quickly without noticing the
group line.

We all need to try to be a little more careful and courteous when posting to
the .lego.direct group, but let's try not to slam someone so hard publicly
when they make a mistake related to it...even if they seem adversarial.

--Todd